Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Touring Guadalajara Mexico- Templos

Am back! My trip to Guadalajara was such a great adventure.  My Cruise Angel (who resides in Mexico) married a man she met a year-ago on the Ave Maria Singles Cruise.  I had not mentioned anything about it because they are both really private people- no one outside their inner circle knew of their engagement or wedding and I couldn’t share anything until they gave me permission to do so.  Today’s post won’t be about the wedding since I am still sorting through photos, rather about my vacation: the places I visited, the casual outfits I wore and the experiences of each day.  Enjoy!

Day One: In my family we have a tradition, when we travel my mom gives us her blessing.  Thus, I began my trip with my mom praying over me interceding for my protection during my travels.  My brother drove me to the airport (he happened to be on vacation from work- thank you Jesus), and then my Cruise Angel and her soon to be hubby picked me up at the airport.  From there we headed out to dinner with both the bride’s and groom’s families. I had the yummiest tacos!  I was too tired to take photos and I felt weird doing so because I was meeting a lot of new people for my first time. So you will have to pardon the lack of visual accompaniments to day one (smile).   
Thrifted Outfit: Target Stripped Shirt $5.99 Ana Leggins Yard Sale $1.00 
J Crew Scarf 2.99 Loft Sweater 6.99 Rebel Sandals 5.99

Day Two:  In the morning, I left my hotel and wondered around Guadalajara looking for the parish dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi.  It was a chilly morning, so I stopped by a small coffee shop and warmed myself up with a hot chocolate and a yummy breakfast.  On my way to the parish I stopped by various churches that were on the path and also a museum that had an amazing display of Lotería card paintings, a collaborative by many artist from around the world.  Very neat- my nephew will get a kick out of the pictures because he loves playing Mexican Bingo.  When I arrived at el Templo de San Francis I was greeted with Mass!  The building is absolutely radiant- it was different from the other parishes in that it was outlined in silver instead of the usual gold trimmings.  I felt at home and so excited to receive such a warm welcome by my beloved Saint.  The statues and art were very Franciscan I felt completely at home.    
I loved the inside, it was simpler than other parishes and the altar had many Franciscan Saints.

At five in the afternoon, the Eucharistic celebration that joined my friends in Holy Matrimony began (I will write more on this in a future post).  Then after that my friend generously hired a shuttle for us who had traveled from outside of Mexico to transport us to the reception and after the wedding to our hotels.  One thing to note: in Mexico dinner is served late- we started dinner every night around 9PM including the day of the wedding! I had no idea of this custom (nor did the groom's family who traveled from New York) so we had some laughs as our tummies growled.  The wedding ended at midnight and the shuttle dropped me off at the hotel by around 1AM completely exhausted!   
 Thrifted Outfit: Ann Taylor Loft Pinwheel Dress 9.99, Stuart Weitzman Purse 12.00
Sequin Jacket- Gift from Sister, tights and shoes I already owned.
This was perhaps my favorite templo in Guadalajara: Templo Expiatorio.
The giant Monstrance lifts up so that our Lord is always exposed.
The outside is equally beautiful!

They have a statue of Saint JP2.
Day Three:  I slept in no adventures on my own this morning.  Later in the afternoon my friends picked me up and I got to see them open presents while I socialized with her family and had some wedding cake.  After, both families and I visited the Pueblo of Tlaquepaque.  They have two beautiful Templos around the plaza, but we arrived too late and they were already closed.  El Santuario de Nuestra Señora de la Soledad looked absolutely amazing from the outside, my friend’s mom was sharing that it’s a site that one receives indulgences for visiting year round.  
Openning Presents.
Volcom fringe scarf  & Jeans Yard Sale $1 each, 
Plaid Shirt Thrifted $6.99, Barbara Bui Sneakers- Thrifted $12.99 

Day Four: Following the directions of my friend I headed on quite a long walk to find a parish that I thought was dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel and it ended up being dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist.  Thinking that perhaps the one I was looking for was located inside the cemetery across the street I toured the oldest cemetery in Guadalajara being guided by a high tower resembling a possible church building.  When I found the tower I realized that it was a very elaborate grave.  However, on my way back to the Hotel I found a really interesting church located in the island of the busiest avenues in Guadalajara!  Dividing the two heavily trafficked lanes stood an orange, quite-plain-from-the-outside templo dedicated to Nuestra Señora del Refugio.  Though it wasn’t one of the most beautiful churches that I had the honor of visiting the location made it worthy of mention. 

This day I also hopped on the subway on my way back to my hotel.  It was quite an experience a little scary because it was so crowded, but I made it back safely.  In the afternoon I joined my friends, toured the city, did a little shopping and had a late dinner (again). SMILE.  At the closing of day four I said my good byes, the couple was to fly early on their honeymoon the following morning (as was I to fly home).
La Catedral de Guadalajara
This is one of my favorite pictures because it reminds me of Europe with all the pigeons.
Thrifted Outfit: Merona Leggings $4.99, 
INC International Top $4.99, Halogen Jacket $11.49, Aldo Shades $2.99

Day Five: After speaking with several of my friend’s family members (who reside in Guadalajara) I was convinced that I would be safe on my own traveling to Zapopan.  After checking out of my hotel, I hired a taxi to take me to the basilica.  I arrived as Mass began and as soon as I went inside I felt something utterly special.  The priest gave such a great homily on love it sealed this trip with “the greatest of these is love.” Though the church was packed and Mass was given continuously I was unable to enjoy the templo on my own, but I felt so welcomed and at peace.  I loved that the priest reminded us that though many pilgrims visit the basilica because of our Blessed Mother of Zapopan and the miracles attributed to her- Jesus must always be the principle reason of our faith.
 I was taking a picture of the altar when my Mass ended and was surprised by the beginning of a new Eucharistic celebration- they have only a couple minutes between each celebration.
This is the story of the Zapopan founder.
Almost forgot to include la Virgen!
Me outside the Basilica.
 Ethnic dancers perform in the Plaza de las Americas Juan Pablo II
 The locals love San JP2 & boast of his visit to Zapopan.
 I found it interesting that the friars do the collection not lay people.
Admiring the art, San Antonio de Padua

As I waited for my flight, I thought about all the places of worship that I visited and how beautiful they all were.  Yet, a thought that haunted me was that at every location I usually found a beggar sitting near the entrance of each church and I thought maybe in my desire to go inside and be with God I might have dismissed His little ones.  Though, I gave alms when I could – leaving an impoverished country really makes one ponder about one’s generosity and whether I am doing as much as I can or am I only giving of my leftovers.  Maybe it’s a way that God is challenging me to grow.   
Wearing pieces worn previously.  Hope you enjoyed my tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment