Monday, February 8, 2016

The Guadalajaran Royal Wedding: Part II

After the religious ceremony we headed straight to the reception, which took place at the Hacienda Campestre.  Overall I think the wedding theme was Mexican, which was truly appropriate since it took place in Mexico…  The second celebration continued to have rituals that are typical in Mexican weddings.  Like American weddings we had a Tequila cocktail hour, but dinner is served rather late in Mexico- nine PM is the usual start time.  I sat with the groom’s family and we shared many laughs as we went from being hungry, to thinking there would be no dinner to laughing when we saw the waiters bringing out the dinner rolls. Thus, if you go to Mexico for a party know that dinner is served late - so plan accordingly (smile).  
Before dinner the bride and groom had their first dance, then danced the traditional dance with their parents and opened the dance floor for guests to dance.  The groom and his family are great dancers- in fact, I think that a big factor in the initial wooing process were the hubby’s dance moves which blew Guadalajara away.  Ecuador got down during the cruise so much so that he ripped his pants- which the bride warned the groom not to repeat at the reception (LOL).
Song: Juanes "Para tu Amor"

Dancing with bride's parents.
Dancing with groom's parents.

After dinner the Mexican wedding rituals began with the dance of La Víbora de la Mar.  It’s sort of a game that single men and women participate separately.  The bride and the groom go out to the dance floor and stand on two chairs that stand apart and they hold hands creating an arch.  First the single women are called onto the dance floor they join hands in a train and while music is played they go all over the reception area making sure to pass under the arch of the wedding couple many times.  Music is played and the rhythm gets faster and faster so the speed of the train must also increase- it ends with all the single ladies standing behind the bride’s chair ready to catch the bouquet.  
The couple building the arch.

The dance of La Víbora de la Mar is quite fun, but dangerous on heels so I removed my shoes so that I wouldn’t fall because women are known to fall during this activity which I guess is part of the fun.  Back to my shoe removal- I took my shoes off and participated in the game solely on my tights.  Yet, I didn’t calculate that the floor was tile and quite slippery on tights- no I didn’t fall during the song, but I did fall on my bum after jumping to catch the bouquet.  So embarrassing!  I have never-ever fallen during this ritual- so I got up and gave a vow to the laughing crowd.  You have to options in these cases: cry or laugh- I chose to play the fool.
I fell, but I won the bouquet- it would have been worse if I fell and lost.
Guess am a glass half full kind of gal (smile).

Then comes the money dance.  For a fee you get to dance with the bride and groom…  This is actually a tradition in which friends and family can contribute (if they choose) to help the couple economically.  In Mexican weddings this dance is a must because we are very united folk and we take serving each other extremely seriously.  
 I had to get my money's worth and dance with both.
I forgot to mention that the couple opted for no wedding party and instead involved their family members in the various duties and traditions typical to the madrinas and padrinos.
Bride with her girls (mom & sis).
Groom's family.

After that came the cake cutting,


the toast,
and the wedding ended with an hour of live Mariachi music.  It was such a great celebration am so happy that I was part of it.     

The End...
Of the wedding and the beginning of a marriage...

1 comment: