Monday, February 29, 2016

RCIA: Encountering Christ at the Well

Every Sunday, I am at Saint Barbara Parish for five hours during the morning helping with the RCIA program for the Hispanic community.  I was invited to join the group of catechists last year and I have to say that I absolutely love the ministry.  Yesterday, we began the scrutinies and Father joined us.  He helped us dive deep into the “Samaritan Woman at the Well” and then gave our students a very special blessing.  As part of the program we ask our students to go on a weekend retreat and last weekend they all departed to the mountains with Jovenes Para Cristo (young adult group).  Most were reluctant to go at first, but after much motivation we were able to convince all of them to take a weekend to just be with Jesus.  I remember the first time I went on retreat I took my car with the intention of sneaking out in the middle of the night if I felt like the “church people” were trying to brain wash me.  Thus, I understood the hesitation in my students, but just like I didn’t need a getaway car my students too encountered God in a very special way.  Yesterday, a few shared their retreat experience and all had a tearful testimony, a great experience of healing, a strong desire to change and serve God by loving their neighbor.  Some Sunday mornings, I don’t feel like spending half of my day at the parish- but when I see the fruits of our labors I become so motivated!  God truly is amazing!  After a weekend retreat, to begin RCIA classes again with the scrutinies was so fitting.
For each scrutiny we build an altar to visually represent the scriptural passage.  Always at the center we use a poster size painting of an artist's take on the scripture passage because God speaks to us through all our senses.  We even had a small fountain (black thing on the corner) to have the sound of flowing water (smile).
For this scrutiny we always build a well with bricks and in the center we have a cooler with drinkable water.  Towards the end of our reflection each student goes up and fills a jug with water from the well.  It's their portion of the living water that Jesus provides always in constant abundance.  

This year Father was able to help out.  During class he gave a very thoughtful teaching about the Woman at the Well.  He used his own experience traveling in the heat to the actual well in the Holy Land.  Then he performed a beautiful ritual with prayer, laying of hands and a blessing. 
This was a really special moment, Father went to each 
student and laid hands praying for each individually.
I am the designated photographer (at the end of the 
program I put a slide show together which the students love).
The blessing.
Cheers! God is good all the time, all the time God is good.
This years team.

The program is completely in Spanish and I love that because God to me has always spoken Spanish (smile).  As Pope Francis said, "Sentía como ganas de llorar al ver tanta esperanza en un pueblo tan sufrido."  I am Mexican-American and I love both cultures, but my faith was passed on to me in Spanish so I have a great weakness for Catholicism a la Español. 

No comments:

Post a Comment