Thursday, February 25, 2016

Pope Francis in Mexico: 7 Quotes

I love Pope Francis.  I love the way he expresses himself even if many times he gets misinterpreted because I too have a tendency to say things spontaneously and many times they get misunderstood.  I followed his visit to Mexico very closely and below are seven of my favorite quotes...  I will go back to my regular posting next week- I am still not fully recuperated from my bronchitis so I haven’t had the energy to document my life, but hoping by next week I will be back to my normal self.
  •  “He is waiting for us and wants to heal our hearts of all that tears us down. He is the God who has a name: Mercy. His name is our wealth, his name is what makes us famous, his name is our power and in his name we say once more with the Psalm: “You are my God and in You I trust”. Let us repeat these words together: “You are my God and in You I trust.”

  • And yet, on many occasions, in a systematic and organized way, your people have been misunderstood and excluded from society.  Some have considered your values, culture and traditions to be inferior.  Others, intoxicated by power, money and market trends, have stolen your lands or contaminated them.  How sad this is!  How worthwhile it would be for each of us to examine our conscience and learn to say, “Forgive me!”  Today’s world, ravaged as it is by a throwaway culture, needs you! ... Let us be resolved to be witnesses to his Passion and his Resurrection, by giving flesh to these words: Li smantal Kajvaltike toj lek – the law of the Lord is perfect and comforts the soul.”

  • “The devil can overcome us with on of his favorite weapons: resignation... Resignation which paralyzes us and prevents us not only from walking, but also from making the journey; a resignation which not only terrifies us, but which also entrenches us in our “sacristies” and false securities; a resignation which not only prevents us from proclaiming, but also inhibits our giving praise.  A resignation which not only hinders our looking to the future, but also thwarts our desire to take risks and to change.  And so, “Our Father, lead us not into temptation."

  • “Isolation is always a bad counselor.  Both, unknowingly, used the same expression; both showed us that very often the greatest temptation we face is to cut ourselves off, and far from putting our heart into things, this attitude of isolation ends up, like a moth, drying up our souls… It is true that living in family is not always easy, and can often be painful and stressful but, as I have often said referring to the Church, I prefer a wounded family that makes daily efforts to put love into play, to a society that is sick from isolationism and habitual afraid of love.  I prefer a family that makes repeated efforts to begin again, to a society that is narcissistic and obsessed with luxury and comfort.  I prefer a family with tired faces from generous giving, to faces with makeup that know nothing of tenderness and compassion.”
  • “Above all, la Virgen Morenita teaches us that the only power capable of conquering the hearts of men and women is the tenderness of God.  That which delights and attracts, that which humbles and overcomes, that which opens and unleashes, is not the power of instruments or the force of law, but rather the omnipotent weakness of divine love, which is the irresistible force of its gentleness and the irrevocable pledge of its mercy… Guadalupe teaches us that God is known by his countenance, and that closeness and humble bowing down are more powerful than force.”
  • “…for the heart of an apostle was not made for small things.”
  • Mary tells us that she has “the honor” of being our mother, assuring us that those who suffer do not weep in vain.  These ones are a silent prayer rising to heaven, always finding a place in Mary’s mantle.  In her and with her, God has made himself our brother and companion along the journey; he carries our crosses with us so as not to leave us overwhelmed by our sufferings… Be my ambassador, she says to us, giving food to the hungry, drink to those who thirst, a refuge to those in need, clothe the naked and visit the sick.  Come to the aid of your neighbor, forgive whoever has offended you, console the grieving, be patient with others, and above all beseech and pray to God…”

No comments:

Post a Comment