Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Decisions, Decisions: 5 Travel Tips for A Short Getaway

Tomorrow I am heading to Guadalajara for a five day mini-vacation that includes the wedding of a beloved friend.  While I love to travel- I am not too fond of packing.  Yet, I often get asked questions concerning how I pack.  When I first started traveling I felt like I needed to shop for traveling clothes because normally what I saw on people’s travel photo’s included cargo pants, sneakers and t-shirts articles of clothing that I don’t own because I like really girlie things.  Since, I have learned to take with me pieces that I already own, but to simplify my look- becoming somewhat of a minimalist.  Travel pictures are mementos that you will keep, cherish and share with your loved ones so take clothes that are cute, but comfortable which will help make your trip a positive experience.   I usually start by making a chart for each day including weather forecasts & activities I plan to do.  Knowing the temperature of the places I am about to visit and the activities I plan to do help make my clothing and shoe selections easier.  For this trip I am going to a wedding, touring Guadalajara and a few neighboring cities and attending Mass on Sunday.  Thus, I need a formal outfit, an outfit appropriate for Mass and comfortable outfits for my site seeing adventures. 

Tip One: Knowing what I plan to do during the trip and having an idea of the daily weather forecast helps me pick my outfits.  I have my red dress, pumps, evening bag & sequin jacket for the wedding. I have three pairs of leggings & blouses that I can rotate for my site seeing & airport days and I have a pair of sneakers and sandals for walking.  I generally don’t pack pajamas- I sleep with a casual comfortable outfit that has multiple uses.
Most of these articles are thrifted!

Tip Two: Take items that you can layer so that if it gets cold you have a sweater with you and if it gets hot you can remove it.  A scarf too helps keep you warm and also serves as an effortless accessory. 

Tip Three: Take a couple of books and a journal to keep you entertained during the long commutes.  I always take with me a spiritual book to help me ponder God and to help me grow in Christ.  And I never leave without my journal- because I generally have a lot of time to write.
I love to doodle so I always bring crayons.

Tip Four: A nice crossbody bag will keep you organized.  Having quick access to your passport and flight information will make passing through customs a lot easier.  Also having your money handy makes transactions quicker.
French Connection Chelsea Crossbody: Retails $98 Thrifted for $9.99
Stuart Weitzman Suede Evening Clutch: Used on Ebay Retails: $150.00  Thrifted for $12.00

Tip Five: Electronics- make sure to bring chargers and extra memory cards for all your photos.  In Rome, I ran out of memory and had to purchase a very expensive card- boy, did I learned my lesson.

Last night I started packing and I am super excited to start traveling.  Am looking forward to visiting many churches and to enjoy my friend receiving the Sacrament of Matrimony.  Please pray for me so that God will keep me safe and know that I will be praying for you in the many places of worship that I plan on visiting (smile).  Bon Voyage!    

No comments:

Post a Comment