Monday, January 11, 2016

Lies Women Believe

It’s the New Year and the most popular universal resolution people make is to get fit- to drop those dreaded pounds…  Thus, today I want to open up about physical appearance and the lies that women believe by sharing my own struggle with self-image and fluctuating weight.  Dealing with added pounds usually has to do with more than just bad eating habits and lack of exercise; usually it’s an inner battle that needs to be won in order to make positive life changes.  I have shared (before) the chaos that my life was after I arrived in California- dealing with abuse, alcoholism, poverty, all sorts of difficult trials- these issues affected the way that I saw myself.  It wasn’t until I had been in therapy for many years that I began to accept that I was a normal girl, but for most of my life I believed I was an abnormal freak of nature.  I looked at my reflection in the mirror and I saw brown skin, brown eyes, curly hair and I felt like I would never be the ideal of American beauty.  The reoccurring compliment I would always get was, “you are so exotic.”  I hated being referred to as exotic, every time I would hear that I felt like some tropical flamingo from some foreign land on display at a zoo- I longed to be seen as standard beautiful.  Toni Morrison wrote a novel, The Bluest Eye, about this black woman who longed for blue eyes, she believed that all of her problems would be fixed if she had blue eyes.  When I read this novel in high school, I so identify with the protagonist because I too wanted to be ideally blonde, blue eye and beautiful.  Yet, I looked at myself in the mirror and I saw a distortion of me even though I was a size six- I felt like I was super fat and for most of my skinny years I always felt like a whale.  The distortion was not just in my Mexican looks, it was also in my size.  I was looking at pictures from these years while preparing this post and I remember how unhappy I would get every time I looked at these images thinking how enormous I was.  Now I see them and I see a normal kid.
In Texas- about 24.
At 21 years old.
During my teaching preschool years.
 College Years- when I sponsored my goddaughter.
When I student taught- for my 27th birthday.

How these distortions began has to do with many variables.  Coming into a new country and starting school without the language can be a very difficult, traumatizing event for a child.  I remember that not knowing the language made me an outcast, kids bullied me and I responded by withdrawing and becoming an extremely shy kid.  Dealing with an alcoholic parent and abuse in the home also affected my view of myself – I felt like I needed to hide these things.  Most of the time I felt like I was leading a double life: a perfect student at school and a child at war at home.  Add sexual abuse, poverty, mental illness to the mix and you have the ingredients for quite a distorted self-perception.  For the longest time I felt like I needed to hide the real me because no one would love a person with so much baggage.  I became a perfectionist and I was very vain.  I never left the house without make-up and looking my very best.  When I began my first relationship- I began to feel beautiful because I had a guy to validate me.  Yet, he was a guy that liked me for my physical attributes and when I started gaining weight he told me that he was no longer attracted to me and that he hated when I wore my hair curly.  These comments really hurt me and I felt like I needed to look a certain way to be loved… Yet, after the break-up I found God and things began to change.

 26 years old.
 25 years old.
Going to a wedding.
Maid of Honor for BFF's wedding.

When I had my first encounter with God I thought that religious life was what God wanted for me and I stopped dressing up, and wearing make-up.  I wanted to rid myself of vanity- yet, I went to the other extreme and became unkempt and slovenly.  Around this time I also began taking meds for Bipolar and the medication gave me strong sugar cravings – in a year I went up drastically in weight.  When I looked at myself in the mirror now more than twice my size I felt sick- I hated what I saw.  I had to learn to accept myself with the added weight.  After having a mental breakdown my physical appearance was the least of my worries.  I just wanted to gain sanity, to find and keep a job, to slowly build my life again.  It’s been many years since my breakdown and I have (through the grace of God) achieved stability.  During these years of having God in my life and learning to see Him in a truthful light - clear of distortions that I also had of Him- has helped me see myself as He sees me.  Our view of God affects how we view ourselves.  If we do not see Him as He really is- if we believe things about Him that are not true- invariably, we will have distorted views of ourselves.  I have found that knowing God has also been a great self-discovery.  I am heavier than I have ever been in my life, but I feel good about myself because I am more than my physical appearance.  God has helped me to love my brown skin, eyes and curly hair… I often tell people you see this body it’s all sweetness because of my Seroquel sugar cravings (smile).  Yet, this year I would like to begin to work on making some positive changes to help me become healthier.  I think I am ready to work on having physical discipline again and that’s perhaps another journey that I will document here, because I know that we all need encouragement.  Change is good.  
My BFF's wedding.
All the pictures I shared on this post are pictures that though I am smiling I felt terribly insecure.  They show a healthy girl- with a very distorted perception of herself.  With God all things are truly possible- now I look at these images and they make me smile... (to be continued).


No comments:

Post a Comment