Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Word Becomes Flesh in Our Relationships

Yesterday, I read a really great piece on how the Word-becomes flesh in our relationships with others.  Like God is a loving relationship between three persons (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) when we join relationships we form community and bring to life a God that is visible to society and to one another, our God becomes flesh.  Baptism initiates us into the family of God and we spend our entire lifetime trying to live up to that call in community, “the reality is Trinity, God is shared life, life in relationship.  Church is the communion of saints, family is both the beginning and the end.”  God asks us to live together in one faith because “God’s basic building block for self-communication is not the “saved” individual… but precisely the journey and bonding process God initiates in marriages, families, tribes, nations, peoples and churches who are seeking to involved themselves in God.” The body of Christ, the spiritual family is God’s strategy of attraction, “until and unless Christ is someone happening between people, the gospel remains largely an abstraction.  Until he is passed on personally through faithfulness and forgiveness, through bonds of union, I doubt whether he is passed on at all… a Trinitarian God is a God relationship. He both knows and is known.  He loves and is loved.  He believes and is believed.  We come to know through the same dialogue…  We come into this world through a relationship called marriage and family.  We come into the kingdom through a set of relationships called the church or spiritual family.”  WOW! 
One of the fears introverts have is being pushy and yesterday as I wrote about initiating relationships I thought that maybe I sounded too aggressive because one day I speak about friendship and the next of relationships.  When I got home I talked to God about all these thoughts that were robbing my peace because my intention is never to put pressure on others.  After talking to Him for some time, I picked up a book I have been reading and the chapter that I read dealt very fittingly with how God made us to be in relationships.  We shouldn’t feel shame for desiring marriage and a family.  God created us and asks us to live in community because “the best teachers of Christ are without doubt fathers, mothers, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters.”  Being part of families and communities is God’s will for us because it is in relationships that God radiates His love.  When communities are formed through faith, love and trust in God, God invites us to participate in what is happening and as a result we want to grow in trusting one another as together we trust in God. However, so that we won’t feel overwhelmed in our relationships there’s a pattern of intimacy that we must follow that reflects the pattern in which we fall in love and encounter God.


When I had my first encounter with God, I fell head-over-heels in love.  I immediately wanted to give my life to Christ by becoming a religious, but as the initial fervor and euphoria reached stability I realized that I was not meant for that vocation.  Then came a period of trial where I began to see the challenges of leading a Catholic life and I began to feel unsure and question whether God was really worth all the trouble.  Followed by a period of dryness, where I wasn’t getting spiritual consolation for living a Christian life.  Then came a moment of grace where I knew that God was more than a feeling, where the truth remained even if my emotions betrayed me.  This period is where real love begins, where we know and accept that our faith is beautiful, but also difficult.  Honest communication begins here and true listening.  Now God and I are becoming family. The last stage is perfect listening, perfect responsiveness and perfect love – which is the stuff saints are made of.  Similarly, our relationships with others follow this path, which I will try to describe better on Monday.  The great thing is that we have begun a friendship and from here we can build so much until we become (in the words of my nephew) best friends forever.    

No comments:

Post a Comment