Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Be Holy with Others

As young Catholics it’s good to get involved in parish life somehow.  There are usually many things happening.  Today, I want to share some of the things that I have been or am involved as encouragement for you to form community because to lead successful Catholic spirituality we need to live in community.  By success I mean, being around like minded people helps us feel that we are not alone in our faith and encourages us to live holy lives.
Eucharistic Ministries- Help out during Mass.  When I first returned to the Catholic Church I became a minister of hospitality because it was something simple that I could do even though I was so ignorant about my faith.  As my confidence grew, I became a lector.  My brother is a Eucharistic Minister.  If you are musical join the choir.  There are quite a few things that you can do to help out during the most important hour of our week so get involved; young people need to see more young people involved in worship- it’s encouraging.
Young Adult Groups- Since I returned to the church, I have been involved with Youth for Christ and the SVDP Young Adult group.  I always try to be part of group of young Catholics because I need strong Catholic friendships and events to keep me centered and rooted in my faith.  It’s great worshiping and praying together or just socializing with people that share your values.  What matters is finding Catholics that are trying to live their faith in some way.
Catholic Events- am still amazed by all the fun events that my local parishes and diocese put together. Growing up, I always associated Catholicism as something boring, limited and confining.  I felt like the church sucked the happiness out of people with all its rules and regulations- man was I wrong!  I wish I had known sooner how much fun Catholic life can be if we live it right. Just these past few days I attended two really cool events where we ate yummy food, drank some alcoholic beverages, learned about our faith and socialized.  When I first heard about the Theology on Tap movement I was struck dumb.  The church encourages young adults to come together at a bar, drink in moderation, and socialize? Believe it or not it does! Through social media I learn about all sorts of events- like at the end of the month I will be going to see “Saint Faustina” the play. I love theatre and now I can go see a Catholic play!
Travel Groups- If you like to travel, there are ways to travel with other Catholics.  I have gone to three Catholic singles cruises with Ave Maria Trips and I highly recommend it.  It’s like a retreat, but in the middle of the ocean- with daily Mass, Adoration and spiritual direction.  In addition to many fun activites, excursions, mingling with other single Catholics and a lot of dancing.  I have also done pilgrimages with my church choir to Christian sites.  Traveling renews my faith- it’s like going on honeymoon with God.    
Service Opportunities- Being Christian means giving back to our communities or sharing our talents.  There are endless service opportunities, just think of a cause that you are passionate about and get involved.  Currently I teach RCIA for adults at my parish to the Hispanic community.  Preparing adults to receive their Sacraments and initiate into the Catholic Church has given me such joy and purpose.

There’s many ways to get involved, what matters is finding a group of Catholics trying to live their faith authentically because we all need friends to motivate and support us in our walk with the Lord.  Attend events and join groups with an open heart and pray that God places you in community with other Catholics that will help you get to heaven.    

No comments:

Post a Comment