Tuesday, March 4, 2014

What are you giving up for Lent?

Growing up, the men in my family would give up alcohol during Lent (the majority were alcoholics) and then on Easter Sunday they would get grossly drunk, to this day some of my relatives still follow this pattern.  I remember for forty days my dad would stop drinking and the family dynamics transformed.  My mother became a happier woman and her offspring rested in the peace and serenity of a fully present father.  As a young child and for many years to come I didn’t understand this Catholic practice of giving up something for Lent.  I witnessed firsthand that having the discipline to give up something for a short period of time didn’t change anything because after the forty days the dysfunction entered my family all over again.  Thus, I kept finding reasons to leave the absurdity of the Catholic Faith… As a revert, I understand that the past family Lenten experiences were not Catholic at all, giving up a bad habit only to pick it up after Lent is simply not Christian!  So, as we start Lent let’s focus on why we celebrate the church traditions as we do.
My Lenten Plan.

Lent is not just a time of giving up something (fasting) it’s a time of prayer and almsgiving (giving to others) - it’s a time of ardent preparation for the resurrection of Christ in our hearts and a time of transformation.  The big question is why are giving up what we are giving up?  Am I giving up soda because I drink too much of it or is because every time I get cravings for a drink I will be reminded of all the poor who are hungry for food and all of the poor who are thirsty for God?  In remembrance I will be challenged to pray for those in material & spiritual poverty and to sing in thanksgiving to my Lord.  Am I giving up Netflix to puff up my ego in learning that I have enough self-control to give up those things I truly enjoy or is it because I want to create more time for my family, loved ones and God?  It appears to me that Lent to the great majority is just giving up something to parade to others, “look at me I can give this up if I choose to.”  But the Lenten season challenges us to do more, to give more to simply become more Catholic.  People forget the two other pillars of this season the equally important prayer and charity.  Thus, the question is not what are you giving up for Lent, but also what are you adding for Lent?  Are you going to make time to join a small Bible study group for the six weeks approaching, or participate in the Sacraments more often, or are you going to pray a few more minutes?  How are you going to incorporate time for Jesus?  Will you be open to conversion? To walking to the cross, the grave and to joyfully celebrate resurrection Sunday with Jesus?  This is the time to draw close, to enter into the depths of God’s heart and abide in Him.  WOW!  
Giving-up Netflix to make time for my loved ones & study.

The solemnity of this season challenges us to practice dying to self, meaning: “when I think of myself- I will think of Him instead.”  In addition, to prayer and fasting this is a time of action: a time to feed the hungry, to give water to the thirsty, to visit the sick and the imprisoned to do acts of charity as a response to His great love for us.  Find a volunteer opportunity, donate money to a cause you are passionate about, help out at your local parish or give a friendly smile to a stranger… The list is infinite of good works you can do.  My hope is that this Lent you along with me will make a greater effort at celebrating the season in a more truly Catholic way.  God is always challenging us to dig deeper to go deeper – let’s take the plunge together (smile).     

No comments:

Post a Comment