Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Joy is for All of Us

Enjoying Sand Diego with friends...

The cross taught me to live.  I went from being a young agnostic - bitter like King Solomon at the beginning of Ecclesiastes where everything is meaningless to learning that all meaning is found in God.  From a young age I sought answers to those deep philosophical questions like: Why do I exist? What’s the meaning of life? What is the purpose of my life? In therapy, these where the questions that caused my depression and which I tackled with my therapist- but I never found solace in our discussions.  I felt like Nietzsche dark and slowly going mad.  Recently while reading Orthodoxy by Chesterton I found a poignant observation about how Christian philosophers have never gone mad believing in God’s fantastical philosophy (smile).  While to many Christianity is a giant fairytale because at one point in the journey one must learn to live with many unanswered questions and accept humbly that we are finite beings with limited perception of the grand universe.  The way Chesterton explains, “Fairytales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”  Christianity provides the answers to all those loaded questions in one word LOVE, love conquers all.  Jesus (out of love) died to give us life- we owe it to Him to live our life to the fullest!

In my short walk with the Lord He has answered those deep inquiry’s that fueled my depression.  His philosophy has given me purpose, peace and joy.  I am still Bipolar with a tendency for depressive phases, but the deeper I submit myself to God the less these phases occur.  Though faith doesn't come easily because I possess a doubting spirit- and everyday requires re-commitment to God; when I find myself in great spiritual conflict I realize that no philosophy has given me the fullness that Christianity has.  In God, we are given direction, purpose and unconditional, perfect love.  In my journey- without knowing my spirit was transformed into one that is in constant joy.  I went from someone who cried all the time to a happy, silly little flower and I know that my happiness can only be attributed to my Catholic Faith.  Death taught me mortality, but Jesus showed me everlasting life!  To this day He continues to show me how life is meant to be lived …. This earthly journey towards the eternal starts now, sanctification starts now…  And though I fall and at times leave the path, He’s always there waiting for me to return to Him.  He's waiting for you, come follow Me...
Celebrating my friends 30th bday!

I know there are many people that criticize the Catholic faith, hold grudges and resentment towards it; but, if one truly gives God a proper chance and not judge Him according to His weak, fallible followers I assure you that He will bestow His blessings and you will never be the same again- like the Woman at the Well you will never thirst again.


No comments:

Post a Comment