Monday, March 24, 2014

Hollywood Looks to Bible for 2014 Blockbusters

Over the weekend I went on a two movie marathon date with myself.  Due to the high costs of the theatre I rarely go watch movies when they are released, but when I want to support a particular film I enjoy placing my vote by visiting the cinema-high prices and all.  On Friday, I found some time to watch two Christian films that are currently in theatres: God is Not Dead and The Son of God.  One was based on the Gospel of John and the other was an attempt at apologetics.  While in my experience, Christian films can be rather preachy, horribly acted and lean towards soft, predictable plots- both of these films were better made than expected. 

God is Not Dead follows a college kid’s trial in defending his Christian faith (or simply that God is not dead) to his atheist professor in a university forum.  The film’s contemporary Christian message touched a nerve- though I might be horribly biased since I love apologetics – the film left me giddy and optimistic not because God needs defending, but because our people need to be exposed to the realness of God.  The film does a great job displaying great scientific arguments for the existence of the universe created by an Intelligent Designer.  I even liked the acting, specifically the protagonist Shane Harper!  Usually Christian films though good intentioned have really weak actors, but Harper made his struggle genuine and believable.  Yes, the film has its preachy, mushy moments, but overall it’s a movie that leaves the audience hopeful and desiring to be better missionaries.  In the end, we are challenged to join the movement and send a text to all our contacts: “God is not dead” (thus if you received this from me over the weekend now you know why).


The Son of God portrays a happy Jesus – one who smiles and laughs a lot and that in itself is worth watching.  However, I found the film lacking- am not sure if it was my annoyance with the use (or misuse) of scripture or the fact the cast looked too western or whether the costumes (Mother Mary looked like she just left the salon during the crucifixion) that repelled me.  In addition, being a fan of Gibson’s Passion of the Christ the flogging scenes in The Son of God weren’t as powerful nor as gruesome - Jesus injuries looked fake.

This coming Friday, Noah is making its debuts in theatres nationwide and we have three more Christian films on their way this 2014: Heaven is for Real, Exodus  and Mary, Mother of Christ.  I think Hollywood is finally recognizing that Christians are starved for quality, dignified films.  In fact, I was reading that surprising all odds God is Not Dead has done well at the box-office this past weekend - a big pat on the back to all those who went and supported the film (smile).     

No comments:

Post a Comment