Monday, November 1, 2021

Just a Regular Halloween

Hope you had a Happy Halloween!

After totally passing on it last year, this year I had a little more enthusiasm and mustered an outfit for myself and Francis.  In my thrift escapades I found a small mariachi hat and I thought that Francis would make an adorable charro which he did.  It’s been quite a joy sharing his pictures with my students today and watching their reactions.  A fluffy dog with a hat will make even the most challenging kid smile and break the ice.

I also was able to dress as Jessie from “Toy Story” on Friday to school and the kids had some cute reactions.  I specially loved the reactions from my virtual students as they logged in expecting to see their usually black hair teacher and were surprised to find a red-haired imposter.  Again, I found the Jessie t-shirt and hat at the thrift store and made my wig using red yarn, then I added some calf print fabric to my jeans and it weren’t for my brown skin – you wouldn’t be able to tell us apart.  For both Francis and my costume, I manage to spend less than fifteen dollars and the joy that I got was priceless!

On Halloween Day, we closed our door and turned off our lights, no candy evangelizing this year.  Funny, the year that I don’t participate is the year that I got asked by a priest to share how I celebrate Halloween. He’s trying to get a plan established to get his community to revamp the holiday with saints instead of goblins.  Thus, I had to rely on posts from years past to highlight what I have done to keep my faith on Halloween Day.  Maybe next year, the saint costumes and candy evangelizing will return as now I have a small following of people who are taken by my very Catholic Halloweens.

No comments:

Post a Comment