Monday, October 25, 2021

A Glimpse of Heaven

I love this time of year, even though there are more gray skies the atmosphere seems more joyful.  Or maybe it’s because I enjoy the holidays this season brings.  Starting with Halloween, I love the creativity of transforming myself into a totally different character. Then Thanksgiving Day challenges me to prepare a feast for my family, ending with Christmas and the joy of Jesus’ birthday.  All these great days to plan and look forward to. 

Now, as I have practiced my Catholic faith a bit, I also love this time of the Catholic calendar.  I adore getting to celebrate the lives of so many of the saints that I hold most dear, one right after the other.  Starting with the Saint Therese of Lisieux, the Archangels, our Guardian Angels, Saint Francis of Assisi, Saint John Paul II…  This year I realized that a new saint of my devotion also has a feast day during this time of year, Saint John Capistrano.  Since I spend most of my week in San Juan Capistrano, five minutes away from the basilica I have been drawn to his life most recently.  He also happens to be another Franciscan brother (smile).

Divine Mercy Santuary in Krakow

 

Sometimes, if I have the time I will go over to the basilica and just sit in the beautiful church.  Whether it’s before work or during my lunch - I enjoy the silence and the beauty that surrounds me.  Usually there will only be a few people inside the big space – so I feel like I am at a silent retreat and the church is my private haven.  I am fond of these moments because they keep my flame alive.  I have learned that my relationship with God needs to be fed, it requires more than just my Sunday commitment.  It is when I am most involved in godly things that I find the most peace in my life.  This autumnal season being aware of all the saints we celebrate at this time of year has been such an elevation in spirit.  Some days I still find myself feeling quite anxious and blue – but having little distractions everyday that remind me of people who walked in this world choosing holiness and trusting God is extremely edifying.  Today, we remember the lives of two patron saints of cobblers.  I love shoes and the silliness of having not one, but two patron saints of shoes is quite humorous. 

Every morning, I look forward to discovering what other saints made their way into the calendar at this time of year… For now I am looking forward to all Saints Day, to feel like I did the first time that I visited the Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels and stood in the middle of the life size tapestries of the saints- surrounded by an army of godliness.  A glimpse of heaven.        

No comments:

Post a Comment