Monday, November 8, 2021

Protestant Books Folly

Did I ever tell you about the time I gave protestant books to my priests for Christmas?

I had just returned to the Catholic Church and I was involved with Jovenes Para Cristo.  I thought what if I buy a great book for each priest and have everyone in the group sign the card so that it’s a thank you gift from our entire group.  So, I got everyone in the group to sign and put a special message in the three cards.  At the time I had recently visited the then Crystal Cathedral and found some great books that I thought would suit each of the priest’s personalities.  To me books have always been the perfect gift and I was really excited to give a few of the ones that I had read by Robert Schuller, Chuck Swindoll and Lee Strobel to my parish priests. I wrapped them in pretty paper, stuck a shiny bow and placed the group signed Christmas cards on each gift and delivered them to the parish office.

My heart was excited, thinking that I had done something meaningful expressing gratitude to service men that often go day by day without a thank you.  When my phone rang and it was the president of the Jovenes Para Cristo Association, I thought he had called to tell me that the priests had received their gifts and were warmed by the thoughtful expression. 

“Penny, did you give our priests protestant books?” The leader of the group began the conversation in a tone that clearly illustrated that I had done something wrong.

Instantly I was upset. I didn’t understand the accusation.  I just thought of my intentions and how I just wanted the priests to feel special and valued.  So, I told him, “It was a gift, and if the priests have a problem receiving a gift given with the purest intentions, have them directly talk to me about it.” He didn’t argue any more when he realized that I didn’t do it with malice, it was just a matter of ignorance.  He let me go, but I still felt upset because I thought my gift wasn’t well liked instead of it being inappropriate.  To me there has never been a bad gift because I always look at gifts like a little goodness from the giver.  The giver takes time to think of what the gift will be, personalizing and taking the time to purchase.  Then the gift is wrapped and decorated all while the giver thinks of the reaction the recipient will have. 

Thus, there are no bad gifts- at least not when the intention is to bring happiness – that is unless you give protestant books to Catholic priests! I was driving this morning thinking about this incident and laughing at how many times I was too protestant when I made my return to the Catholic Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment