Friday, September 7, 2018

How to Remain Faithful in Times of Scandal


These past weeks have been difficult for the church with so much scandal coming to light, many are contemplating leaving the church, others are predicting the fall of Catholicism and others hope that this will help cleanse the church.  I have tried keeping up with the tabloids reading both pieces pro and against our pope trying to make a decision as to where I stand.  However, not everything is black or white – resign or not resign is not the position that I support because the pope’s position is not like a politician that can easily be replaced.  Also, all the focus has been on condemning the pope, that we have forgotten the real predators and even the victims behind this grave sin.  My mind has been restless trying to figure out the best action plan during these difficult times and I've come up with my own way of dealing.
Prayer- I’ve been praying, interceding for our church, our pope, the victims...  When I see another sad headline on the news I pray.  Voicing my fears and hurt to God has helped me see beyond the scandal and to remain Catholic because I know that while sinners make up the church God is the head and He will provide and redeem- even in darkness, that’s His specialty (smile).

Prudence- I try not to react to everything that I am seeing in the news or social media, but to take everything in and contemplate trying to sift between the truth and the biased reporting.  Thinking before I act- I wish I had a friend who I could talk to away from social media about some of my feelings because posting negative things is not my style.  In the meantime just holding my tongue has been really helpful in not creating more drama.

Remembering our History- This has been extremely important.  Recalling the hardships we have faced as a church and reading biblical stories reminds me that there has always been great division, trouble and sin in our lineage.  Thinking of the many great biblical characters that have fallen and God redeemed gives me the greatest hope.

Making it Personal-  While news reports allege that there’s a secret homosexual club within the church, that sixty-percent of priests are gay, that hundreds of priest are pedophiles… My reality is different, the priests that I know are amazing men (with flaws) that have given their lives to serve.  The priests I know have helped me and my family through some of the darkest times in our lives, they are optimistic and hopeful and truly believe in God and our Catholic Church.  They give great witness to our faith and inspire me to be a better version in Christ….

It’s easy to be overwhelmed by the scandal, but reflecting on why I am Catholic leads to hope and a desire to stick around to share in brighter days (smile). 

No comments:

Post a Comment