Thursday, June 28, 2018

World Cup Brotherhood


Yesterday, was an emotional rollercoaster for all Mexicans who support the World Cup team.  After a great first half our dreams were shattered during the second as three goals slipped through our beloved curly-haired goal keeper.  My dad who never drinks, took a Corona from the fridge and downed it in total despair.  My sister called me to tell me her coworkers were in a terrible state and I felt like my heart might break... Yet, in moments of total desperation there was a glimpse of hope.  Minutes after our devastating loss, we prayed that Germany would draw so that we could still be part of the 2018 World Cup and South Korea with two surprising last minute goals became our hero.  Through South Korea’s win, Germany left the series and the Mexican league qualified into the next round.  We lost badly, but South Korea kept our dream alive, South Korea allowed us to not pack our bags and of course social media exploded with gratitude towards our Korean brothers. 
Four Years Ago

I mostly never pay attention to sports, the only time I get invested is every four years during the World Cup.  I love the way the whole world unites in sportsmanship.  In my home I have fond memories of gathering every World Cup and screaming in support of our Mexican team.  Then when they exit we cheer for whatever team is left from Latin America, just to keep the cup within our grasp.  That’s our philosophy if Mexico can’t have it then go Latin America (smile).  Yesterday’s loss helped me see and experience a pain so real and so strong.  I hurt like it was seriously my loss and I saw the same devastation in my dad and in disappointed friends- the dejected faces of the Tri players was contagious.  As I went throughout my day wearing my Mexico jersey I met many and heard lots of commentary and testimonies on how World Cup enthusiasts were equally feeling the rollercoaster of emotions over the game.   That’s when I realized that when we live in authentic community the pains of my brother become my pains too.
This Year

Our Catholic faith is about community about family and during the World Cup it’s evident that the world too needs community.  There’s something beautiful about unity and a healing power so great when we live together, when we live in a manner sensitive to the hurts and needs of the other that’s Christian living.  Pope Francis constantly reminds us that we must never lose sight of the person, of the face behind every violation of human rights.  When we live in community and see others as our brothers it’s easy to see their needs.  Yesterday, Mexicans needed a hug and the amount of support we received gave me hope and a glimpse of what Jesus wants for us.  He wants us to love one another as He loved us, so deeply that the hurt of my brother becomes my hurt.  It is only in experiencing the hurt of another that we can really come to love them how they need to be loved. Go World Cup keep showing us the Spirit of God so alive in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment