Monday, June 18, 2018

A Person is a Person No Matter How Small



After the Mexico victory, we all cramped in my car to attend Mass and I quickly noticed that my nephew had taken off his Mexico jersey.  When we went inside the parish he jokingly didn’t want to sit near me because I was still proudly wearing mine.  Thus, on the ride home he got a big lecture on how he needs to be proud of his Mexican heritage.  I highlighted on the beauty of our Mexican traditions and hardworking people and told him that if continued being ashamed I was going to show up at his elementary graduation with my jersey, huaraches and a large sombrero and scream in Spanish that he was my nephew.  He giggled hoping that I was merely joking.  Developmentally, he’s at an age where he’s starting to show embarrassment towards things that set him apart from his friends at school.  I get it.  Something happens as we grow, that innocence without judgment is challenged as we subjectively learn what’s cool and what’s not in our peer circles.  It’s part of growing up.  At his age kids don’t want to stand out; however, throughout this phase kids need to hear and be reminded that at home with their families they can be themselves without fear of judgement.
I wasn’t always proud of where I came from or the family that I was born into.  My parents are both very humble people and this humility for some time made me ashamed of them.  I wanted successful parents with booming careers and connections.  Instead, I acted as translator on their behalf, going with them to all types of meetings and doctor appointments.  I remember I was checking them in one day and the receptionist looked at me and said, “Don’t you get tired of having to come and translate for them?”  Truthfully I did, many times I was angry that this responsibility fell on me, and perhaps like my nephew I didn’t want to sit next to them in fear that someone from school would see me and make the association.  I am not sure when we learn the lie that appearances dictate the worth of a person… My parents haven’t changed, they are still two of the most beautiful-humble beings who need help in ways that other parents do not.  I still need to translate and to drive them around; but, I have changed because God taught me that a person’s worth is not subjective to who they are, what they have, what they do or the friends they keep.  Dr. Seuss said it best, “A person is a person, no matter how small.”  The challenge is to see, to not miss the humanity and worth of another when they are showing signs of smallness.
Am going to continue working on my nephew to challenge whatever lies his little peer group feeds him.  By the end of the world cup this kid is going to wear el Tri’s colors with pride (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment