Monday, February 26, 2018

Family: God's Greatest Gift


My parents are traveling; thus, I have been arriving to a lonely house.  The silence was welcomed the first week, but I miss their cheerfulness throughout the house.  I miss arriving to their warm welcome, our happy meals together and Sunday afternoon porchin’ in our front lawn.  Even my dog gets a bit of separation anxiety when left just with me as a companion (smile) and our family bird doesn’t sing his usual afternoon symphony…  In a book, Pope Francis, wrote for children he states that one of the most beautiful things God made was the family.  Sometimes I think because I have been spoiled with such a close knit bunch that I have set my standards high for marriage.  Then again, my parents are going to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary this year!  Even so, I was raised with rich family values and the Sacrament of Marriage initiating all families – that is until I reached high school and started forming friends outside my barrio that I realized that what I had was truly special.  In my culture parental responsibility and support didn’t come with an eighteen birthdate expiration date.  Grandparents were never placed in nursing homes no matter how needy they became.  There was this unspoken law that parents took care of the children until the children could take care of them, thus everyone from the youngest to the oldest member remained clan until death.  Even in death, we continued to ask for their intercession because we knew that we were familia forever.    

When I got to high school I had friends who didn’t get along with their siblings and people whose families were scattered across the states.  Suddenly it was cool to be the type of “Married with Children” family, an antithesis to the loving family view.  In the media, I saw this movement from family to friends.  It was no longer about having a great family, but more about having great friends.  The many romantic comedies I saw during these years told me that I had to get a kicking profession and after hours party with my friends.  I created this dream in my mind that I had to become a professional so that after a long day at the office I could grab a cab, like in “Sex in the City,” to a bar or club where I would join my friends in daring escapades.  Yes, developmentally speaking there are times in our lives when our peers gain more importance than our families, but the messages I was getting and still get is that singleness is the dream and family is but a stuffy reality; at times described as a ball and chain.  Maybe shows like “The Cosby Show” were equally deceiving, but at least it taught us to aim high. 
Today, more than ever I think we need to celebrate the beauty of family.  The reason I opened a Facebook account was because I wanted to see the pictures of my friend’s children as they grow up.  Though to our modern culture and even commercially the family might be a hindrance or too serious a subject - to me, my little clan has been my saving grace.  They have been there for me in only ways that people who share your blood can.  My mom was intimidated by my education because she thought that with formal schooling I would be ashamed of her, or even worse no longer need her.  She had the courage to share her fear, at which I said, “Mom, I will never be too old or too anything to not need you.”  Children no matter how old we get, we are always our parent’s kids.  My dad retired recently and when he visits his mom who is ninety-plus-years-old he still behaves like her little boy.  Though he now takes care and provides for her, he still needs his momma.  Perhaps, I am spoiled because God gave me a great family one that I just couldn’t live without- they are the ones that I can’t wait to share my joys and when I stumble the ones that carry me forth.  We are in no way perfect, believe me we all have our weaknesses and moments when we can’t stand each other, but we were raised with the biblical tradition that family is  one of the greatest gifts from God. And when something is a special gift it has to be enjoyed, treasured and if need be protected.  Pope Francis is right, one of the greatest gifts God gave us is family and that’s why we Christians put such a strong battle to fight for this treasure God endowed us with because great societies stem from the microorganism known as familia.    

No comments:

Post a Comment