Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Seven Ways to Pray During Lent

When I teach I like utilizing the various teaching methods to incorporate the many learning styles of my students.  In the same way, I like to approach prayer utilizing all my senses to come to God.  This creative way makes prayer more engaging and varying the methods keeps it from becoming a stale, boring process.  During special seasons like Advent and Lent, I implement a little imagination to my prayer life, these small changes make me better able to appreciate and grow during the season.  While prayer can be daunting, it really is quite simple.  Our entire lives can be a form of prayer with the right perspective.  Below are the way I am perfecting hence seven my prayer life this Lent, feel free to steal my ideas (smile).
In Community- Go to Mass an extra day, an adoration service or a rosary group and offer it for someone in need. 
Notes of Gratitude- One of the best teachers I ever had taught me the importance of a thank you note.  During Lent I have a “forty day of thank yous” tradition in which I write a short card to a priest, deacon or religious daily and mail it out.  I also pray for that person during that day.  
With the Saints- One of my fraternity sisters gave me, “Lent and Easter Wisdom from St. Francis and St. Clare,” a daily prayer book.  I have been walking hand in hand with these two saints this Lent and I love it.

Stations of the Cross- This is the seasonally perfect prayer for Lent.  Most parishes have scheduled times and services for this specific type of prayer, like mine where we pray and then have dinner in community.  I also like going to Saint Michael’s Abbey where the stations are outside on a hill and with a guide booklet I can spend time in nature walking the path of Calvary at my own pace.
Pray before the Crucifix- Take five extra minutes to pray before a crucifix contemplating what you see.  What is Jesus saying to you this Lent?
Learn- Take a cause you are passionate about and learn more about it.  I am learning about modern day slavery and how the choices I make affect others. 
Fast and Donate Money Saved- If you buy coffee every morning or lunch every day, go without it for a week and donate the money to charity.


Prayer is more than reciting words, all of our being has to be involved both in communicating and listening.  Then actions should follow.  Happy Lent.   

No comments:

Post a Comment