Monday, November 6, 2017

How to Prepare for a Retreat.

Every year I like to take a weekend retreat to nourish my faith and spend some one-on-one time with God.  During the years since I came back to the Catholic Church I have attended various types of retreats.  Some were coed, others were young adult retreats, there was the Cursillo, the one in a monastery, the one in big bear, local ones, formation ones, women only, and the one that I am repeating this year the women’s silence retreat.  I am very fortunate that the Catholic Church has such an array of retreats available throughout the diocese year round.  Thus, I thought today I would share how I prepare for a retreat.
Desire Your Retreat- Look forward to your weekend getaway, see it as a blessing in your life.  I know that for busy people it’s hard to think of leaving everything behind for a weekend, but things will still be there upon your return.  I like to think of retreats as my moment with God on Mount Sinai, where I go seeking Him knowing I will find Him.  

Take Comfortable Clothes- Check your weather forecast and take clothes that will accommodate the temperatures.  Dress simple so all your attention is on God.
Be on time- try to make arrangements so that you start your retreat on time.  Some offer bus services so that you don't have to worry about driving- I suggest you take the offer.  Starting with a calm spirit makes it easier to focus on God. 
Prepare for Prayer- I always like to take a journal to write my thoughts and take notes on the topics that are given.  Since I like to doodle, I also take color pencils.  Other great things to take are a rosary, prayer booklets and a religious book.  I usually take one on the life of a saint, so that during the weekend I can have a holy companion and intercessor.
Take Prayer Intentions- Before I go I ask my friends and loved ones if there’s anything that I can pray for them during my retreat.  I make a list and during the retreat I bring their intentions to God.
Seek Solitude and Silence- The weekend away from your world and responsibilities is a time to spend quieting your mind and heart so that you can hear God speak to you.  After you receive the schedule of the retreat, plan a moment(s) to just be alone with God.  Some like to spend extra time in chapel – I usually love spending time outdoors in the gardens and at night admiring the star lit sky.

Make room for the gifts God wants to give you- Before the retreat go to confession or during the retreat try to make a confession as soon as they are made available.  The Sacraments are very healing- and I find that starting with a clean heart makes my disposition for receiving heavenly gifts more accepting.
Realistic Expectations- Expect for your faith to grow and to have moments that inspire and motivate your conversion.  Strive to come away deeply aware of how God is working in your life and His desire to be more involved in it.  Do not expect great emotional encounters- though they might happen, God speaks in many other ways.

Am excited for my weekend, it’s my birthday gift to myself this year.  If you have any prayer intentions am taking them down all week (smile).  

No comments:

Post a Comment