Monday, November 20, 2017

Gracias Señor

It's almost Thanksgiving, in a few days our ovens will be hosting turkey dinners with all the trimmings.  In RCIA we use the holiday as an introduction into prayer of thanksgiving.  First we have them write five things they are grateful for, then we place the prayers on our class altar (as an offering).  Then we go around and each student shares one of the items on their list, concluding with a cider toast.  I love this activity because it creates community, it brings us together in good cheer and thanksgiving- which is the essence of the holiday that we honor this month and a huge part of our faith.  This year, while I was on retreat I realized that this month is the month that the church dedicates to honoring and praying for our dead and I found it so beautiful that this happens during the time that civilly as a nation we celebrate Thanksgiving.  While it's easy to be thankful for the things that we have - it takes a lot faith to be thankful for the things that have been denied or taken away from us.  Joan Sebastian (one of Mexico's greatest contemporary composers) wrote a song, after his son was assassinated and he thanks God for calling his son home.  How can we be thankful for things that hurt and shatter our world?  It doesn't happen over night.  It's a process that some arrive sooner than others, but when we do arrive - when we are able to say, "thank you, God for calling my brother home," hope transforms the loss.  Hope gives us the will to go on and the courage to declare: "God, I might not understand why, but I trust in you." 
This year I am thankful for so many things both good and not so good- but I think my Catholic faith continues to top my list because, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or want.  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."  This year I realized in a way that I hadn't before that as long as I have God, I can endure all things and that in itself is a great victory (smile).  Have a happy Thanksgiving go around the dinner table and thank God as a family then toast to our good, good Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment