Monday, January 23, 2017

Selena MAC Review

For Christmas my family gave me some spending money to buy the MAC Selena collection when it got restocked in January because when it initially released I only got the blush because everything else sold out before I could get my fingers on it (smile).  I choose not to buy the complete collection and only got what I really wanted: the three shades of lipstick, mascara and the blush.  I love what I bought.  Each item is named after one of Selena’s songs, my favorite is the “Dreaming of You” warm burgundy lipstick.  I also really like the blush it has her signature engraved in the powder and the shade is perfect on my skin tone.  MAC is also selling eyeliner and mascara in the collection.  However, a true fan will notice that these two items are not named after Selena’s songs because they are only packaged in the pretty purple casing.  These two items were the only two things that were not created specifically for the collection, but are products always available on the MAC line.  Yesterday, I had a presentation for RCIA and it became a great opportunity to test out my new make-up and I absolutely love it.  The collaboration between MAC and Selena will make any fan happy and the best part is that it’s still available on line for those that missed the first sale.
My MAC Selena purchases.
Beautiful packaging and details.
Lovely shades of lipstick.
 Lipstick jewelry to go with my make-up.  
The complete collection.

On March 31, 1995 I was getting a snack from the refrigerator.  I had just arrived from school and the news was playing on our television set, my cousin rushed over to where I was and said, “Hey that singer you like has been shot and killed. Selena.”  I ran to the TV and the news confirmed that Selena was dead and the shooter was locked in a truck with a gun to her head.  For months to come Spanish television seemed to be Selena television and I became obsessed.  I bought all the magazines, spent hours on the internet learning more about her, saw every special, saved enough money to buy every one of her CD’s.  She became my idol and during those years in which things at home were pretty bad -my confidant.  I would talk to her as if she could hear me, and I would ask her for intercession when things got really bad.  I remember feeling like she must be in heaven because all the reports made her this perfect human being.  I didn’t believe in God, but Selena she was a real person who walked this earth, full of kindness and joy- she must be in heaven able to help me.  Those high school years I talked to her often and asked for help me when I needed assistance.  I remember I was going to go to this party and I was so nervous because I was so shy.  As I walked to my friend’s house I said a prayer, “Selena, please be with me during this party I am terribly nervous, but if you are with me things will be ok.”  This became a routine prayer.  I had no God to believe in so she took His place.

 Techno-Cumbia blush.
"Dreaming of You" shade.

The reason I am sharing this is because we were all made for worship and when God is not in His rightful place we will find someone or something to adore.  Selena became my God for many years and I worshipped her.  She was twenty-three when she died and I fifteen so to me she was someone I could look up to.  I remember after I graduated High School I went to Texas to tour all the places special to her.  When I got to museum and saw the outfits she wore on display I remember feeling a bit disappointed because they looked so human.  I visited her house, her boutique her grave and every place that I explored she became less divine and more ordinary… I still love her music, her contagious personality and admire her beauty.  Now that I am older than she was when she died, I look at the videos of her and realize that she was just a young girl and not the all-knowing person a young me created her to be.  I still love her music, her style and remembering those years in which she helped a vulnerable me- even if they were a bit deranged makes me smile.  She taught me some great lessons, like being proud of being Mexican, not being ashamed to speak Spanish and to confront everything with a bright smile.     
Using all the products.

No comments:

Post a Comment