Thursday, January 5, 2017

Gratitude List: Six for 2016

This is the time for New Year’s resolutions and maybe later in the month I will dedicate a post to that, today I want to look back at twenty-sixteen and just give thanks for the many blessings 2016 brought me.  In the news I keep hearing that this past year has been a really bad year, but to me personally I have so many reasons to shout praises of thanksgiving.  Before I think of making goals, I want to take the time to just rest in recognition of the many blessings that made up my year.  I chose six as my top six of 2016 simply because once I get started making a list, it can become overwhelmingly long…  
First, to close the year we had a scare in the family, my grandma had a fall which at first we all laughed because it was quite a comical story when she told us; but, a few days later she was hospitalized in pretty bad shape and we almost lost her.  She is now mostly on bed rest and needs the help of a respirator but that woman has spirit and refuses to let that damper her mood.  Dad calls her every other day and she’s always happy to chat and keeps telling us that she’s as good as gold.  Almost losing her really shook us up, especially dad and made our holidays that much more special because 2016 closed with all of us together.  She might be in her nineties, but she’s still such an integral part of our pack.
Dad retired!  This is really huge, because we were all concerned about how the transition would affect him, knowing that he’s a man that enjoys work.  After spending a full day at his job six days a week, he would still come home and garden, paint or find another fixer-upper activity to do at home.  So, I was afraid that he would get depressed going from so much activity to only free time; so far the change has been positive.  He wants to go out and have fun with his family, which is so rewarding getting to share so much more with him now.  We joke because he’s always in the mood to go out- even to the store! His new favorite phrase is, “Y ahora a dónde vamos?” It’s so awesome having a dad that’s so present.
Guadalajara Royal Wedding.  I have heard that single women find attending weddings a little sad even difficult, I am not of that mind set.  I love going to weddings!  For one I get to dress up and wear heels and sparkles…  This past year I got to do all that and in Mexico.  I even won the bouquet (though let’s not recall the embarrassing fall).  This wedding was special because I know both the bride and groom and have great affection for both.  They have such a romantic story and are proof that prayer and blind faith in God make the best unions!
My birthday.  This year it was filled with so many special surprises, I really wasn’t expecting much on the actual day since I had the most amazing pre-celebration.  The pre-celebration included my parents, family, friends, nature, animals it was so special.  Then God decides to continue the shower of gifts on the actual day – and I felt so completely loved and thankful for everyone who I get to share my life with. 
Women’s Silent Retreat.  I was really skeptical about going on this retreat because it was a bit pricy, but after getting a half off gift I was able to go.  It surpassed my expectations and I think this retreat might be a yearly adventure.  Every year I go on a different weekend retreat, but as I am aging out of the young adult age range I have found this retreat to be a godsend.  The location is beautiful, the silence so welcomed and the organization is perfect.  Saving my pennies for this years!
Dollar, I never imagined I could love an animal as I do my sweet, sweet pup.  He turned lucky thirteen this year and still has the energy and good looks of a puppy.  I try not to think that dogs’ lifespans are not as long as humans because I want to enjoy my love without worry of losing him.  He makes me so utterly happy from the moment I wake up, to the moment I walk through the door after a long day of work, to the moment he pushes me off the bed in his desire to be closer to me! When I think of him I feel like Goldilocks who found the one just right for me, he’s perfection.  God truly radiates His magnificence to me in my furry baby. WOW, just wow!
RCIA Ministry, I have found a niche where serving the Lord doesn’t feel like service, but rather a gift given to me by my Heavenly Father.  Getting to share my faith with adults as I help them prepared to receive their sacraments is such a special journey. Getting to do it in Spanish and alongside my best friends is heaven.  As I watch the transformation in my students God fuels my faith and my desire for holiness increases.  I really never imagined that a promised I made my brother on his dying bed would lead me in the greatest adventure. 

There’s a correlation between a thankful spirit and happiness.  People who see the world with a “thank you God” attitude are really happier- studies show this!  Though it takes a little self-control to say thank you when one would rather complain, learning to be agradecida (thankful) impacts your entire look on life.  Just look at my grandma who literally took a fall, but did so with laughter and optimism (smile). What are you thankful for about 2016?  

No comments:

Post a Comment