Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Nature is the Art of God


I love fall, the cinnamon, crisp air, my dog’s paws crunching the fallen leaves, the variations of browns and oranges…  I love the barren branches reaching towards the sky like long fingers searching for a lover’s hand.  I love the grey skies that engulfs life in a shade of grey and keep people inside in fear of rain.  I love walking in silence with my dog trailing behind and sometimes running ahead with a tail dancing in the wind and a curious nose clinging close to the ground.  He often stops at a bush or a fallen branch, erects his ears, sniffs and if the smell dissatisfies him marks it, lifting his head when finished with a proud smile like he has accomplished a great feat.  He listens to the crackling leaves and the wild sounds that come together to create an autumn song, sometimes I can see his ears attentively moving to capture every noise.  When we arrive home he plops on the carpet enjoying a treat satisfied with another day’s exploration.  He’s not one of those annoying dogs that disrespectfully jumps and licks, no, only occasionally when he truly knows I need affection will he politely lay next to me and offer a few consolatory licks.  He’s the quiet type, rarely barks and when he attempts to howl at the sound of a passing ambulance - it’s hard not to chuckle.  I love creation, whether it’s a beautiful landscape or my perfect, furry companion.  To me the natural world connects me to God, it allows me to catch glimpses of His majesty and to believe in His great love- for who can give us an entire universe, speak things into being or simply breathe life into existence.
In Mexico, we had a small farm and my brothers were sheep herders during summer breaks.  My brother-in-heaven used to take our sheep out into the wild and climb a cherry tree while the sheep grazed the fields.  I love thinking of him high on a tree plopping cherries into his mouth and enjoying the natural wonders of God (Michoacán (where I am from in Mexico) is known for its stunning forests).  While my brothers took leave every morning with the sheep, I stayed home and helped care for the rabbits and chickens.  I would give them feed, but mostly spend hours playing with my friends.  During certain times of the year my little pueblo would have celebrations that would send us out into the forests.  Like once a year the fields would produce mushrooms and this would send all the children into the forests to collect the delights for consumption.  I remember going out pail in hand with my friends to pick mushrooms and we would have so much fun filling our buckets with the mana from heaven.  During the summer, the fields would become inundated with Amapolas (the native flowers of Michoacán) and again we would all leave our little pueblo and go out into the woods to picnic and to pick flowers.  I remember all the girls making beautiful necklaces and wreaths for their heads, while the boys chased squirrels, the women proudly shared recipes and the men laid beneath trees socializing.  Those were such happy times! 

Nature gave us such joy and we thanked God simply by enjoying it.  When I give someone a gift, let’s say a cute shirt and I see my friend wearing it, it makes me so happy.  In the same way, when we sit and contemplate a blue sky, or close our eyes to feel the caress of the wind God rejoices because He loves seeing us enjoy His gifts.  Sometimes we forget that in order to be great givers we need to practice at becoming grateful receivers.  We receive from God so we can give to the world (smile).  

No comments:

Post a Comment