Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Alpha Program: Life- Is this It?

After ten weeks of participating in the Alpha program yesterday was the closing night and as always God outdoes Himself in pouring blessings in my life…  The Alpha program was developed by an Anglican priest as a course to welcome the unchurched and those who were Christian only by name.  In his efforts to evangelize, Reverend Nicky Gumbel, developed a ten week faith program which aims at getting people interested and talking about deep spiritual questions in a safe, non-judgmental setting.  Though Alpha began in the Evangelical Anglican tradition it has become popular and used in many mainstream churches including the Catholic Church. Every night begins with a delicious catered dinner, an engaging talk (usually in form of a very entertaining video), and closes with small group discussions.  This is not your typical bible study group, from the moment you reach the door to the hall there are friendly greeters at the door welcoming you in.  The dinner is set up as a buffet style, so that you serve yourself as you come in and say grace on your own (only if you choose).  During the thirty-minute dinner at our tables we talk just like we would if we were out with friends, each night building closer relationships.  Then the night begins with a video usually exploring a few deep questions. The video is set up in ten minute intervals so that after each interval we discuss in our small groups some of the ideas presented.  The topics each night are organized in a way that promote growth and get more personal as the weeks go by.  This is a great program for those who are curious or new to the faith.
What I liked about the program is that it begins by asking participants to tell us their story.  Where are you at?  Instead of telling them what we believe we first explore, where each person is at in their faith journey.  Every night that’s what it’s all about- tell me your story, let me listen to you.  Sometimes as Catholics we want to share the law first and that usually doesn’t go well with new believers.  I know that when I returned to the church, I met a lot of opposition from some well-meaning Catholics.  I recall one experience when I was wearing a necklace with the peace sign and one of the leaders told me that I couldn’t wear that necklace to the group because of the diabolic history behind the peace symbol.  This really hurt my feelings and I became very defensive.  Through the grace of God I managed to continue exploring my faith, even though I met a lot of Catholics that turned me off by their legalistic sometimes fanatic positions.  This is not to say that God’s laws are not important, but before the law every person needs to encounter God and fall madly in love with Him.  Love usually comes first. Once I encountered God for the first time - loving Him as He wants to be loved came next- expressing my faith through our Catholic tradition began to develop.  This is what the Alpha program is about.  Come let’s talk, let me listen and share God’s love with you.  Come encounter Christ, come know God and learn how much He loves you.
Nights begin with a yummy dinner.
The videos are consistently hosted by two young guys Ben & Jason. 
Every night we begin with a joke and after the fourth week with worship and a short prayer.
Though I didn’t go around asking the rest of the small groups about their experience, I know based on the testimony of my new sisters in Christ that the Alpha experience really inspired and motivated my group mates.  Our group of nine young women and our fearless leader really grew in very positive ways.  Last night we recruited new gals for our Advent Bible Study group starting next week (SMILE).  Our Alpha small group had a good variation in terms of spiritual maturity: some of the women have been Cradle-Catholics who had bad experiences and left the church, others are Catholics that occasionally go to Mass, some are very active in their faith - and we had a very special young lady who was a non-practicing Mormon!  We all had our night when we shed tears and a really intimate day when we prayed together as a group.  I am really satisfied with my experience and looking forward to being a small group leader in April when we offer the program in our parish again.  If you are interested in participating, contact me and I will give you details about our 2016 Alpha session.   

No comments:

Post a Comment