Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Traveling to Mexico

I did a little traveling down to Mexico for a few days and it was such a nice trip- it helped me unwind, relax and slow down enough to get a greater appreciation on life and to develop mas gratitude over the many blessings God continues to provide.  I always marvel at the roads my life has taken- coming from a little, insignificant pueblo in Mexico and given opportunities that have allowed me to live a life of plenty always humbles me- I feel unworthy of so much goodness.  A friend opened his vacation home in Puerto Los Cabos to my bestie and I, and the two of us spent five days in a Mexican paradise.  There between sand, sun and water I was able to contemplate God and His beautiful creation and sing songs of praise for loving me so much!  For the first time in my life I was struck silent and no matter how hard I tried to put words to paper I found that my spirit wanted nothing more than to freely roam and absorb the beauty of my surroundings.  Everything was so aesthetically pleasing from the beautiful home we stayed at to the beauty of God’s creation and I just wanted to capture everything with my eyes.  Now as I close my eyes I can recall details perfectly, but no matter how much beauty man can create it does not equate to the perfect, tropical shades as the sun set or the private, darkness invaded by willful stars that covered the night.  Life is beautiful, especially if one possesses a thankful heart.  I pray daily that God helps me grow a grateful heart because a lot of the time I lead my life as if I am entitled to everything that I have- when the reality is that everything is a gift from Him…

I have noticed that traveling after my conversion has been very different than my previous travels as an agnostic.  Now when I travel I want to visit Catholic sites, require time for prayer and need to make sure I have a place to go to Sunday Mass.  Luckily we had a driver available that was able to take us around and I had a friend who though not a practicing Catholic was open to come along with me.
It was so beautiful to pray my rosary, novena and have some prayer time with God in such a beautiful place.
I found Mission San Jose to attend Sunday service and it was so beyond beautiful.  It reminded me of the times I went to Mass in my pueblo as a child.  I found it really interesting that the priest encouraged children to read the readings, I had never heard children lector before.
I did accompany my friend to a rowdy restaurant bar and I was so happy that God has liberated me from drunkenness, acting a fool and depending on alcohol to have a good time.  I like my quiet life, just relaxing and living in the moment soberly thanking God for His Providence.

My trip came to an end, but not without filling me up with God and giving me fresh, new energy to continue the routine (smile).  We all need a vacation once in awhile- it helps us pause, contemplate and fuels us to live our daily lives with passion and purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment