Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Giving up Netflix Changed My Life

It’s important to have a grateful spirit.  To look at life and everything in it as a gift from God.  This Lenten time away from Netflix I am so thankful for books and the easy access (I have) to periodicals and all types of writings.  These past forty days I have read an abundance of literature on the saints, the Pope’s Exhortation, Christian spirituality and just plain fun pieces.  I have learned a great deal, but most importantly have gotten to know God deeper…  In the past I never really understood the power of fasting and abstinence nor the fruits that come from such a sacrifice.  This is the first Lent (since my conversion) that I seriously observed in true Catholic form.  I learned the power of following the traditions of the Catholic Church. You see, our church is very wise in offering us simple ways to celebrate the different times in Jesus’ life.  However, sometimes the simple ways get so diluted and distorted that no fruits are produced and instead of blaming ourselves for our inadequacy we blame the church and its "old ways."

I never understood fasting until this year.  Giving up Netflix really changed my life!  I never imagined that abstaining from awesome BBC Television Series would teach me the true meaning and effects of a fast done right (smile).  It was a struggle, especially because during the forty days I went through a depressive phase where I had very little energy to do anything at all.  Many days I almost fell into the temptation of watching a show thinking that breaking the fast wouldn’t hurt a soul; but, instead I offered my sacrifice for various intentions and occupied my time following my Lenten plan.  As I look back now, with still a few days remaining, I know that my small penance in addition to my dedication to prayer and almsgiving really brought transformation.  I learned that fasting without prayer doesn’t work!  That in ordered to reap the rewards of the Lenten Season I need to follow the ritual as the Catholic Church instructs me.  If I follow the indications of the church (in fasting, praying and almsgiving) then I am inviting Jesus to remain in me- to occupy more of me and I am allowing the change that is occurring in me to affect my community.  This happened to my seven-year-old nephew, he joined me in my Lenten lifestyle and he began to want more of God too!
Spending time at the Library and used Book Store....


This discipline of fasting and abstinence really inspired my faith, my prayer life increased and I am so looking forward to Easter!  It helped me realize that though it takes tremendous discipline - taming the body is possible.  That fasting and abstinence quiets the body so that our minds can open up to the realities of the spiritual realm…  In the pains of wanting to satisfy my thirst with a cold Coka-Cola I understood that I have the self-control to give up unhealthy foods.  This discovery motivated my desire to shed weight and I grasped that I can temporarily hurt for the betterment of self.  These past six weeks have been a time of such blessings and all because I followed the wisdom of my church.  During my prayer sessions, God spoke to me personally and gave me the strength to press on.  I realized that change can be good and that we always have areas that need more of God and thus more conversion!

No comments:

Post a Comment