Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Catholic Life

 When looking at Christianity from the outside, I always focused on all the things that I would have to give up…  I felt like that wealthy fellow who asked Jesus what else he could do to follow Him and Jesus said, “Sell all your possessions and give everything you have to the poor…”  That fellow had a serious internal battle because it seemed like Jesus was asking for too much of him.  The first couple of years (when I just warmed the bench at Mass) my thoughts matched that rich fellow who walks away from Jesus sad and dejected because he knows that he’s not ready for such a big change.  I was so focused on the things that I would have to give up to realize all the blessings that I would gain from trusting God.  I had this naïve view about Catholics, I thought the women wore longs skirts, hated sex and partying and were boring imitations of one another.  In my case, at the time, I was just focused on the lifestyle changes that needed to occur if I was going to leave my bench and follow Christ.  Years later I must admit that the changes that occurred in my lifestyle were small compared to the goodness that I gained and that’s why I want to write about what a Christian life looks like.  I am not a saint nor close to it- I am a sinner who God loves so much that He smiles at my mistakes and progress; but, accepts me today as I am - blemishes and all. 
Am blessed we have Perpetual Adoration at my parish.

My Catholic life is anything but boring, and though I do live my life with a high moral standard I am still very much Penny.  I try to go to Mass every Sunday and have deleted profanity from my speech.  I listen to worship music, study the Bible, the Catechism of the Catholic Church and read books about my faith as well as attend seminars.  I try to go to Adoration once a month, pray daily and go to confession.  I am also involved in service activities, my church community and over all try to be a better human being.  I am chaste and try not to abuse alcohol or any other drugs…  Just to be clear I fall all the time, there are Sundays when I skip on Mass or I forget my drinking limit and get drunk.  I have my favorite sins, but luckily going to confession helps me clear the slate and try again at living a life in imitation of Christ. 
I try reading the complete Bible every year or at least the New Testament.

The above description of my life might sound very difficult, but the secret is why I do it. For example, when I love a man I want to do things that will make him happy and avoid things that hurt him.  I might write him poetic notes, or cook him a yummy dinner or help him out with something that he needs.  I talk to him endlessly or just enjoy being in his company – if I hurt his feelings or mess up I am quick to reconciliate.  The people that he cares about become people that I care about by association…  The big thing with love and keeping it alive is that it requires actions by the people involved.  In the same way, when we choose to change our lifestyle one small bit at a time it’s a reaction to our love for God “for love without works is dead.”  That’s why I decided that a lifestyle post needed to occur in this space as encouragement because if I am able to attempt to live a Christian life then I know you can too and it’s ok to fall and dust yourself off and try again (smile).                   
Adoration: spending time in the presence of my Lord.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment