Thursday, February 20, 2014

New Shoes

“New shoes, new shoes who has new shoes? Penny has new shoes!”  Back in elementary school that was the hymn that we sang for show-and-tell.  When a brave kid forgot his show-and-tell item he would quickly tell the class that his shoes were the item he had brought to share with his classmates.  I especially loved singing this tune and still today I recall it with a smile because it has become my anthem.  Yesterday, my friend decided to invite me to the shoe sale at Macy’s.  I of course resisted knowing my weakness, but as firmly as I tried to escape the allure of shoes on SALE, I decided a little peek wouldn’t hurt.  I was doing really well- until I saw a pair of stilettos with a renaissance flair and we locked eyes (because shoes do have eyes) and it was love at first sight!  They beckoned me to adopt them, to carry them far away from their hard shelf life into a home of love and appreciation.  While my friend tried to persuade me to walk away shoeless – I couldn’t leave these beautiful, studded to perfection twins.  As I went to pay, the salesman gave me an additional forty percent off and that confirmed my decision!  Then I remembered that I haven’t bought a pair of shoes in like four months (for a shoe collector this is quite a gap).  In addition, earlier in the week I went to confession and after talking with Father he told me that he wanted me to do something nice for myself.  The more I reasoned the more the purchase felt right- even though my over one-hundred-and-twenty-pairs-shoe-collection-conscience felt guilty.  
Beaded to perfection!

One of my goals this year is to de-clutter my life- to cleanse myself from the endless stuff that I have accumulated.  I have decided to donate a lot of my shoes to Working Wardrobes. I have mentally made this decision, but parting from my babies is so HARD!  I begin the process of selecting which shoes must go, but every time I pick-up a pair to donate the wonderful memories of what happened when I wore them makes me put them back on my shoe rack.  Or, I think that no one will treat them like I do and the thought of my shoes being mistreated again makes me put them back in their safe residence.  These thoughts sound funny or dangerously obsessive compulsive - even crazy; but, I seriously have an emotional connection to my pretty shoes.  I think that I just admitted that I have a problem (smile) so it should be an easy road to recovery from here.
They are a bit over the top- just like me!

When we moved from Mexico to the States, we went through years of economic hardships and I remember wanting pretty things to wear like my classmates who brought nice shoes to show and tell; but, we could barely afford the roof over our heads and the food on our table.  My mom and sister made a great portion of the clothes I wore. I remember the first time that my parents splurged on a pair of twenty-dollar-tennis-shoes from Payless I was the happiest kid on the block.  Later, when I got my first job (as teenager) I bought my first pair of brand name shoes these black & white high-top Nikes.  However, my shoe collection didn’t begin until a few years ago – I think my untreated bipolar shopping sprees are the major reason that I accumulated so many shoes.  Though, now part of it has to do with having the resources to buy myself anything that I yearn for.  It’s funny I was talking to Father about how greedy I am – I spend too much money on things that I don’t need.  It makes me so happy to bring home dashing shoes – but that’s temporal happiness; thus, I need to start to mature in my handling of money- just because I can afford it is not reason enough to buy- am a work in progress I tell you (smile).  Hopefully I will find the will to part from the shoes that though beauties I don’t wear anymore because they are too uncomfortable, I’ll keep you posted.
"Cinderella, proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment