Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Natural Beauty

Yesterday, my family was watching Nuestra Bellesa Latina, it’s a beauty pageant series on Univision.  During the bathing suit competition the judges asked the contestants ridiculous questions and after a few girls took their turns answering on the spot questions my seven-year-old nephew confidently blurted, “my Auntie Penny would totally win this competition because she’s the smartest girl I know.”  His innocent view of the world placed me above all the size zero, surgically enhanced, over the top hair extension & made-up women of Latin America (smile).  His genuine statement had my family laughing and me pondering at what age do we lose that childlike wisdom?  He hasn’t been corrupted by society’s distorted view of beauty instead he perceives the world through eyes of purity and goodness.  To him, I am the most intelligent girl (who based on my brains can win Miss Latin-America) because he looks at me as God does through eyes of truth and love.  Of course, I first had to answer how tall lady liberty is in feet to get his complete trust in me (smile).
Gap Summer Dress & Espadrille Wedges
Yet, I struggle with my appearance, I have my “fat days” when I feel bigger than a whale and nothing I try on looks good.  I know my lady friends understand the dilemma of trying on multiple outfits and unsatisfactory tossing them all on the floor.  Why do we feel like that?  As a little girl I don’t remember having that issue.  In fact, when I was a little girl I usually had a messy head of curls and was always covered in dirt from my active, naturally curious lifestyle.  Generally, as I made my way to the door I hurriedly put on whatever outfit my hands first yanked from the drawers excitedly to be outside.  Yet, when I saw myself in pictures or in a mirror I didn’t scrutinize every flaw of mine – I generally liked what I saw. 
Vintage Roman Coin Earrings
A few years ago I read Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free, in the book Nancy Leigh De Moss exposes many of the lies that women believe and the guilt and condemnation that comes as product of those deceptions and God’s truth that set’s them free.  I mentioned before that I love fashion (I see it as a form of art) and I do tend to pick up used magazines at my local secondhand book store.  I love glancing at the beautiful photographs and getting lost in the stories they tell; but, I have to be honest before reading De Moss’ book I truly believed the information the articles in the magazines shared was real.  They were published articles on popular magazines, thus to me they were sources of reliable information.  Like many girls I bought into “the need to be perfect” (to be loved) or the need to be “more like her” (to have value) which are reoccurring themes in these fashion magazines.  I saw the pieces on losing fifteen pounds in a week and because they were on the cover of People I believed that they were doable and when I failed to get those results I felt like a failure.  The pictures themselves too are distortions of the truth.  They are photoshopped selling unattainable perfection and the sad thing is that girls believe the images are real!  I remembered the day I covered photoshopping in the media in De Moss’ book I couldn’t believe it so I googled it and the first photo I saw was one of Madonna all wrinkly on one side and her skin absolutely perfect in the touched-up photo.  I seriously almost fell out of my chair with delight at the truth that celebrities do age!
Before & After
I think we owe it to ourselves to do a deep examination of self and to bring to light all those lies that we believe about us and replace them with truth.  God told us to be more childlike to perceive life and others with a sense of wonder and to be amazed by His beauty.  All of us are made in the image of God and just like flowers come is all forms & colors – yet, they are each so perfectly beautiful on their own – we too are uniquely beautiful!  And if beauty is in the eye of the beholder than I challenge you to see yourself through the loving eyes of God for He created you and when He was finished He admiringly looked at you  and said you were “very good.”
Figured it would be fun to photoshop Dollar & I (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment