Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February Catholic of the Month


Surname: Big Phish

Parish: SVDP

Home Schooled  Student

I would like to introduce February’s Catholic of the month my friend, Big Phish.  He’s been such a standout Catholic since the first day I met him back when I was contemplating on joining the Core Team to help with Lifeteen.  As I observed the happenings of a particular Sunday’s Lifeteen at my parish I came across a red-headed teenager and he introduced himself as “Big Phish.” His confidence and self-acceptance at such a young age struck me. He wasn’t (and is not) afraid to be himself and his red hair suits his originality!  He’s on fire for God and shows it like no other teenager I know.  Later when we served together at a Confirmation Retreat I was again surprised at his surrender during praise and worship.  His whole being was lost in prayer - he was unashamedly rocking out to and for Jesus.  Watching him so profoundly consumed in worship helped me focus and gave me courage to dance in the presence of my Lord.  The following is a short interview that hopefully illuminates all the goodness and holiness that I see in him: 
1. What was your first encounter with God like? Though, I was raised Christian, my first real encounter with God was at the teen leader retreat last year during personal Adoration time. It was an unexplainable feeling. I was so overwhelmed with His presence, and I could actually hear His voice saying that this group of people (SVDP) is where my heart and soul truly belonged.
2. What has been your experience living/practicing your faith? Living my faith has been so unbelievably wonderful. Though it is hard at times, I have made so many friends that help me whenever I fall down (physically and spiritually). In living my faith I have learned to see the true beauty of God's creation...
Jesus' Lifeteen Super Heroes

3. How do you nourish your faith? I nourish my faith in 3 ways: the first, is by going to mass at least every Sunday, but I try to go a couple times during the week as well. The second is by praying... A lot (cause I really need it). Finally is by doing praise and worship either by myself or by using webcams and such with my friends.
4. How do you integrate your faith into your daily life?  By trying to always focus on God and seeing everything as His creation. I also try to pray as much as possible and I listen primarily to worship music. I also let my faith influence my writing and my creativity. I try to spread God's love and glory to all those around me, weather I know them or not.

Dress-Up Sunday

6. What do you love about your faith? I love everything about it: Mass, prayer, God, the friends I've made, the Bible.... Everything (about my faith) is wonderful!
7. What does your faith mean to you? It means everything. It shapes the way I live my life: how I act, the way I talk and even the people I hang-out with.
8. Why is your faith important to you? For many reasons: it's what I base my whole life on.  The purpose of my life is to live out my faith and lead others to God so that one day everyone can be in heaven together.
9. What are some activities that you are involved in at your parish?  I've done a lot of stuff with the youth in my parish: I was a teen leader, I was a teacher for EDGE, CLUB345 and CGS. I even led a bible study one time!
Teen Disciples and some Wannabes
10. Fun fact: Whenever I am bored, stressed out or fighting temptation I like to write poetry, it calms me down and helps me express my love for God, my friends, and... A special girl.

God has great plans for my dear Big Phish...  At our recent overnight retreat my girls & I agreed that one person that inspires our faith is our beloved & so colorful Big Phish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment