Wednesday, February 12, 2014

God Among US

Last night I attended the first event held by The City Lights Collaborative “God Among Us” at Yost Theatre in Santa Ana.  It’s a new movement aimed at the new evangelization that includes a powerful message, heart moving worship and adoration.  The neat thing about the event is that it was held in a secular theatre where concerts, raves and even burlesque shows are held: “It’s easy for us to see these worldly venues and run from them, but instead we must follow Christ’s example and run to them, not to be swayed by them, but to redeem them, to glorify God with them as beacons where the culture can interact with the Gospel.”  The theatre holds about a thousand people and it was full with young Catholics.  Even our Bishop Vann came out last night and gave us a joyful greeting and dared to play a song on the keyboard!
Saint Vincent de Paul Parish ready to worship our God
"There is power, power here in this hour..."

I drove a group of our teens to the event and their enthusiasm was contagious, when we got back in my car to drive home they all expressed their desire for more events like God Among Us. One even declared that she loves adoration!  (smile)  The message that our speaker gave also encouraged the youth to cherish the Mass, to participate in it and to attend rigorously.  The Catholic musicians motivated the crowd with a great selection of powerful songs and inspired us to pray in community singing along to the lyrics.  The sound of hundreds of young Catholics praying and adoring our Lord in one voice sounded like a chorus of angels.  When Jesus came out in the monstrance everyone kneeled even though space was very limited and the Eucharist in the center of the monstrance looked like a beating heart due to the vibrations of the music and prayers.  I closed my eyes and just rested in the sound of my brothers and sisters worshiping and enjoyed being so close to my God, I silenced my mind, my heart and just breathed in the Spirit of God.  The experience was surreal and I saw Jesus smiling happy to see His children together adoring Him.
Youth adoring our Lord, BEAUTIFUL!

Events like these is what keeps my faith inflamed, they motivate me to press on with God.  So, I encourage you to find similar events to attend in your hometown, to create godly friendships and to participate in the sacraments.  Faith is an ongoing process that requires sustenance to blossom and remain in bloom.
Our Bishop, Kevin Vann rockin' down the house.


As an aside completely unrelated to this post… Paragraph one of my "After Thoughts" post was published in Regina Magazine! Click on the following link to it  Ave Maria Catholic Cruise   

No comments:

Post a Comment