Friday, February 7, 2014

After Thoughts...


After an Ave Maria Cruise there is always the dreaded melancholy of putting the beautiful experience in the past and living life in the present full of deadlines and responsibilities.  It’s difficult to believe that one week in the presence of God and godly people can affect your life in such a way that when it’s over one feels like a glimpse of heaven has been revealed and one yearns to remain locked in those enchanting days of past; but, time doesn’t stop for anyone and one is propelled to move forward into routine dreaming about the those magical seven days…  I love the seclusion of traveling in the lonely ocean undisturbed by technology or city noises only the peaceful crashing of waves and the infinite view of sky and sea.  The natural setting inspires the poet in me and I pray sweet nothings to my God and whisper poems into the wind hoping they reach Him.  Perhaps the daily Mass and hour of Adoration connects my being to complete communication with my Creator and I understand deeply the beauty of cloister life for He truly is enough.  Then to meet others like me, who love God and the Catholic faith – and not only love as immature children; but, with a seriously, profound devotion and life changing imitation of Christ- makes the oceanic retreat temporal peace on earth.  Though I haven’t met my husband on the two trips that I ventured on, the other blessings that I have taken away with me from these mystical vacations have nurtured my soul in celestial ways.  Thus if you haven’t tried the Ave Maria Catholic Single’s annual cruise I daresay- do so!
A cemetery on the beach, with an iguana protecting it....
Hanging out in Saint Maarten...

This year I didn’t do any excursions because I wanted to relax and silence my being- to listen to the voice of God. Thus, in the Bahamas and Saint Maarten I was a beach bum and in Puerto Rico I was a tourist.  I never imagined Puerto Rico to be so beautiful, but it was love at first sight.  We got to tour Old San Juan with a member of Son by Four (courtesy of one of my cruise angels) as a tour guide - which seriously was an incredible blessing!  He shared his testimony about how after reaching world stardom (singing at the Grammy’s with N’Sync) the group had a close encounter with God and they left the secular music world to now only play Catholic music.  Son by Four had this huge hit in the 90’s (one whose lyrics I still recall) - so hanging out with a famous person who left everything for God was subliminal.  To end the tour he took us to Raices an authentic Puerto Rican Restaurant to try the infamous and quite delicious Mofongo.
Hanging out with a celebrity in Puerto Rico..
My favorite stop Old San Juan...
Pure relaxation...

On the shore of Saint Maarten, while the sun set, I had spiritual direction from Father and he heard my confession too.  Then I got to pray inside a Catholic Church that was right on the beach, what a blessing!  We traveled in a ship called the Freedom of the Seas – how fitting for I know we all let go of burdens to make room for the gifts that God had ahead of time prepared for each of us.  While now, after the cruise my cruise companions and I suffer from separation anxiety and we yearn to be back riding the waves we trust that God will continue to work in us and rest knowing that what we shared is in us forever…   
The Freedom of the Seas...
God's love, we heart you... And a round of miniature golf.

2 comments:

  1. I just love the way in which you describe the bunch of blessings that were given to us! Praise God for having you as my sister in Christ! I miss you girl!

    ReplyDelete