Monday, December 3, 2018

Lessons of the Winter


On Friday, I had my last company Christmas party while I was extended a couple more months, most of my remaining coworkers were laid off, November 30th being their last day.  Thus, it was a bitter sweet celebration where we gathered one last time as a team before parting ways. This being the third time that I get laid off, I have learned that losing a job brings the worst in us, but also the best.  On Friday, the CEO responsible for relocating the company to Texas was in attendance, in addition to Santa Claus, people who completed their last day of work and free booze- I was certain it was a recipe for disaster or at least lots of drama.  Having been in the trenches these past months I have seen the despair and anger of losing a job so near the holidays can cause. 
One of my coworkers who always had a sunny disposition became angry and bitter.  After years of seeing him always in a bubbly way, I learned once again that one can’t trust appearances.  Often, I’ve heard about how people that are always happy are usually covering deep hurt, but it’s easy to classify a smile as someone with their ducks in a row.  It was during an after office gathering that I spoke with Joy and he told me how upset he was by the layoff because it made him feel like a failure.  It made him feel like all the professional decisions he’s made up to this point have been wrong.  I still remember how surprised he was when I told him, “It is just a job.” Then the following day I emailed him one of my favorite Maya Angelou essays in which her mother tells Maya that losing a job is not the end of the world.  I’ve often felt like a professional failure – when I had to stop teaching, when I got diagnosed as bipolar and couldn’t work for a year, every time I have gotten laid off, when I compare myself to others, when I see my paycheck and wish there were more zeros, when I remember there’s no fancy titles after my name…  It’s hard to live in this country and not measure success the way we are taught to do so - by the amount of money, title or power acquired…  On my lowest self-pity days I can throw a mad party listing all the wrongs, all the things lacking, all the mistakes made and all the dying dreams.  However, God is teaching me to rise above my circumstances by controlling my thoughts or rather by replacing desolate thinking with TRUTH.  In the end what titles or jobs I held won’t matter because God doesn’t measure a life well lived the way the world does.  He gives us all the same twenty-four hours and the talents necessary to fulfill our mission on earth.  Sometimes our mission is to pass to others bits of what we have recently learned, like when we get laid off to say with confidence, “it’s just a job, I had a job before and I will have another after.”  

Am happy to report that even though the recipe for drama was definitely in place, everyone used the moment as a time to enjoy each other one last time.  I went home thinking about how I wouldn’t see most people coming today, but how much I learned from them - to smile and see the goodness even in uncertain times. Most importantly to celebrate what was and not pity what could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment