Thursday, December 13, 2018

A Talk with Father Boyle and His Homies

A couple weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending a talk given by Father Greg Boyle and two homies.  I had heard about Homeboy Industries and about the ministry of Father in rehabilitating gang members through my classes at the diocese.  That was the extent of my knowledge and I must admit that I had painted in mind an image of what I thought Father G was like.  For some reason I thought he was a former gang member who found Christ and became a priest and with the help of his previous life was able to connect with gang members himself.  I even had an image of what he would sound like and I was certain that his language would be high street that again connected with the population that he works with.  When a jolly, round man resembling Santa Claus took the podium I was confused and when he began to speak in a language of a highly intelligent individual I was totally surprised.  He’s a Jesuit who majored in Language Arts, thus, his dominion of the English language is impressive- in fact some of the gang members at first are intimidated by the way that he communicates.  Yet, his education and no past personal gang involvement have not been a barrier in connecting with people in the margins.  Though some of the homies refer to him as Mr. Rogers because of the sweaters he wears, he has managed to connected with people who society has rejected and has worked miracles.
On this night he took two homies who had been at Homeboy Industries for only a month and both took the podium to share their testimony.  I was struck by the young man who walked with a limp.  He shared that he had been shot thirty-three times, stabbed seven, got run over three times and the rest of the hurts were freebies (as he stated with a smile).  He shared how he was tired of the gang life, of being locked up and was finally ready to make a change to pursue better choices with the help of Father G.  Both testimonies were stories of unimaginable hurt and even though both men made us cry – they had a sense of humor that made us laugh keeping the tears to minimum.  They both got standing ovations from the entire audience because Father G’s ministry does more than rehabilitate gang members it also helps society see “them” as human beings with burdens heavier than most of us have ever carried.  While normally gang members get demonize - Father G reminds us that they “belong to us” in kinship and that beyond the bad decisions and body ink they are men and women that run to gangs to get away from terrible home violence and abuse.
At the talk I was able to get both of Father G’s books and I read them both quickly at home.  I listened to stories of men and women that have been severely tortured and hurt by those who had the obligation to love and provide.  Of men and women who were born with all things stacked against them, thus their outcome inevitable.  And of a man who lives to serve them and to show them that they belong, are worthy and are loved.  Father G not only helps rehabilitate gang members, but he also reminds us that people are not evil and as Christians we have the duty to love and reach those in the margins.  Both of his books make great gifts this Christmas I especially liked Tattoos on the Heart   

No comments:

Post a Comment