Thursday, March 15, 2018

You are Not Alone


Let’s talk hair.  When I am not feeling super well that’s the last thing I want to deal with and usually a messy bun is the the answer.  Lately, I have been in a funk and it seems like that messy bun has been a daily occurrence for months.  Last night I finally styled my hair, but it was only after a lot of talking myself into it…  What I gather from this period of inner challenges is that being a Christian means that sometimes I will experience periods when normal things are difficult.  Let’s start with RCIA, normally I am totally in love with the program and my students.  I love being an adult catechist.  Yet, this year I have really struggled to be present every Sunday!  I am even thinking of taking next year off to gather my bearings.  I am just so tired and feel like I need a sabbatical- a period to just rest.  During periods of challenges I love to turn to Romans 8:38-39:   
“For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
When I am tired and pessimistic, I love this verse because God is in control and through faith I know the following:
The Holy Spirit is praying for you. I am not alone, God is with me and when I am too weak or too overwhelmed the Spirit prays on my behalf.  Jesus promised that he would not leave us to fend for ourselves, we have the Holy Spirit that has kept the faith alive throughout history, “you are not alone I am here with you, I am here to stay.”

God uses everything for your good. Everything that happens is part of God’s plan.  Goodness and character are usually formed through difficulties not ease, “we know in all things God works for the good of those who love him.”

God wants you to succeed. God wants the best for me and He wants to see me succeed in all the areas where I am failing.  He is always with us cheering us on to walk in the path of righteousness and “If God is for us, who can be against us?’

God will give you what you need. From the beginning of time, God has provided.  “And since God did not spare even his own Son, but gave him for us all, wont God, who gave us Christ, also give us everything else?” 
His love is not conditioned by our response to Him.  Whether we are experiencing dryness or in a period of good harvest God loves us just the same.  Nothing can separate us from him.  As a child I remembered trying to hide from the sun, one day I went inside a kitchen pantry and thought that I had finally hidden from him, but even in the dark, confined space, I could see light leaking in through the slits of the wood.  That’s how God’s love is, that even when our heart is distressed and sinking his love penetrates the darkness, sending powerful beams of light to propel us forth.  “He is my refuge and his everlasting arms are under me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment