Thursday, January 18, 2018

Take Time to Ponder God's Word

On Sunday, I had a really busy day… I started with my regular session of RCIA, it was the Rite of Welcome and spirits were a bit tense trying to get everything done in time for Mass.  Instruction checked.  Pre-meeting with godparents checked.  Mass getting all people involved organized checked.  After a successful morning, I headed to my monthly Franciscan meeting gift and dish in hand for our Epiphany party.  We had many great activities that made the time fly and at the end we were presented with a surprise bible verse to meditate in the coming days.  I had just finished writing my prayer intention and placed it in the prayer box when I was handed a basket with small pieces of paper each holding a different scripture.  I was asked to randomly pick one.  I chose the one that the Holy Spirit “inspired” and on opening to reveal the message I wanted to roll my eyes because it’s a very popular scripture – one that I have often heard so much that I know it by heart.  It’s a verse made popular at graduations, one overused in Lifeteen – not one that I thought I needed as a mature adult.  I realized that I was reading a verse that has become a cliché to me and upon pondering the familiarity of the words and the temporal disappointment I realized that I was being a snob- even worse a prideful snob.  Jerimiah 29:11 is often engraved on graduation frames because completing a degree is supposed to be a time of hope in the future to come, but why did I need to hear these words now? 

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “ plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Lately, I haven’t wasted time with fears of the future, I am actually pretty content with my life at the moment, but aren’t God’s word eternal in wisdom? I folded the paper and placed it in my wallet to ponder during the week until I came to the revelation deeply rooted in the familiar words.  “Do not worry about the future, God is in control” is the obvious literal translation, but in the context of my life (of Penny) what is God saying to me?  I’m a little slow in getting the message sometimes and after several days I realized that while Hallmark might have made the verse popular- they are God’s ceaseless words constant in power and wisdom… It’s the beginning of a new year and God wants me to know that He has a plan.  A few posts back I wrote about my New Year resolutions and while it’s great to make plans to have goals – after we make them we have to hand them to God trusting that His plans might not be my plans and if my desires conflict with His – then I need to let go and trust in Him.

I do have a fear that I believe God is trying to heal me with this message… I have heard of single women who get depressed with weddings.  It’s hard for them to go because it shines a light on their singleness and illuminates their desire for marriage.  I don’t have that problem, I can go to weddings and truly enjoy them, but I do have a problem with baby showers.  For most of my agnostic life I thought I didn’t want to have children and then my nephew came and motherhood started growing in me.  I LOVE the relationship I have with my nephew and while I am an influential figure in his life - I am still just his aunt.  As my fertile years go by the fear of childlessness intensifies - baby showers have become torture chambers, not because I don’t share in the joy of my loved ones having babies, but because I get a glimpse at an uncertain future that scares me.  Yet, God is telling me that He has a plan and I have to trust Him.  My trust in Him has to be stronger than my fears.  Timing is funny- I had just made a resolution to live in the present and through Jeremiah 29:11 God is saying just that, do not worry about the future I got that taken care of- live joyfully each moment right now.  He has “plans to prosper me and not to harm me, plans to give me hope and a future.”  Life is a miracle, a gift and we have no knowledge of when we will be called home so why waste the now worried and scared about tomorrow.  I thought that the verse I got was for encouraging only during specific moments of one’s lives, now I know that God’s words are never clichés – but always relevant truth for the journey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment