Monday, January 29, 2018

DIY Fix for Moth Holes

I am very fond of DIY projects, so this new year I want to incorporate some of the projects that I come up with usually to salvage or repurpose items.  This weekend’s project involved the cutest leopard sweater that had been a snacking ground for moths, those little critters left my sweater with holes throughout the wool.  While the severity of the holes might motivate people to discard a similar item, I just adore this sweater.  When I started working on it even I had thoughts that perhaps it was beyond repair, but with a little creativity I have a garment that will continue in rotation in my wardrobe.
Step One: Assess the Damage. I went through the entire surface looking for the holes that would need fixing.  
Step Two:After I was aware of the areas that needed fixing, I went through my thread collection looking for the perfect color match. 
Step Three: I sewed each hole carefully, with small stitches that reconnected the knit pattern of the sweater.
Step Four: Since the majority of the damage was concentrated in a couple of areas, I decided to cover my sewing with felt hearts.
I really like my finished product, just in time for Valentines Day (smile).  This is one of many ways to repair a holey knit garment.  I actually repaired three over the weekend, but this one was the one that required the most creativity since the damage was so extensive.  With this project, I am also doing good on my resolution of finding ways to extend the life of my clothing (smile). Hope it helps you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment