Thursday, March 16, 2017

Lent Update

How’s your Lent going?  I am suffering not having my cup of coffee every morning- especially the couple mornings I spoiled myself with Starbucks.  The first few days I had a terrible headache, but now my body is taking it better (smile).  Abstaining from things that I choose during Lent always gives me such hope that my will power can be taught to withhold- that it can be tamed.  Yet, I think Lent gets overshadowed by the things people give up, but it’s also a time of prayer.  Before Lent began I had been thinking of Saint Joseph, I felt a great desire to pray with him.  The Sunday before Lent, a parishioner was handing out prayer leaflets after Mass and as she handed me one I realized that it was a guide to a thirty day prayer with Saint Joseph!  The message couldn’t be clearer and so my Lent has also been a time of joining Saint Joseph in prayer and petition. Praying with him has allowed me to get to know him better, I never realized how difficult his life became by becoming the foster parent to Jesus.  From the moment that Mary told him she was carrying the Son of God his life changed dramatically and when things seemed they wouldn’t get worse they did.  He had to flee his homeland and be on the run to protect his family.  I can only imagine how awful he felt when he couldn’t find shelter for his pregnant wife or an honorable place for her to give birth.  Then knowing that his son’s life was in great danger because the Child Jesus was sought by his enemies. His suffering was great, yet, what impresses me is that nowhere in Scripture do we get a direct quotation from Joseph.  It seems like he bears all in silence with complete trust that God would provide.  His obedience to God is also a point of reflection.  When God spoke, even though the things God asked of him were so difficult, Joseph obeyed.  I have been learning a little more about Ignatian Spirituality which encourages us to use our imagination and place ourselves inside the scenes of the Lord’s earthly life.  It’s such a great way to dig deeper into scripture and walk beside the lives of the men and women who followed Jesus with such surrender.
I’ve also been working on my Forty Days of Thank You Notes to religious persons.  A few days ago I watched “Call Me Francis” a four part miniseries on Netflix, there’s a scene in it that shows a stressed Francis having lunch with his mother and she says, “You must have a great life praying and reflecting all day.”  I think sometimes when we think of priests and religious we have this vision that all they do is pray and attend Mass, but they have a really compact schedule of service.  They are some of the most hardworking people, people who often get asked for help; but, like the healed leapers we forget to thank them for their assistance.    
This year I didn’t host a Bible study group at home and I am really enjoying the fact that I didn’t pick up more activities, I am trying to train my Martha spirit to be more like Mary (smile).  Going into week three I am optimistic that I will continue to find treasures in my Lenten Journey, hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment