Monday, March 27, 2017

Lent: Meditating on the Stations of the Cross

This Lent I have been praying the Stations of the Cross daily.  Recently, I discovered that Saint Michael’s Abbey has the stations up on a hill outside the monastery, so on Saturday I ventured out for a moment of prayer.  When I got to the monastery, I felt a great desire to say hello to Jesus first and headed inside the parish.  Once inside I learned that I had arrived ten minutes before the beginning of Mass, I was delighted by the lovely surprise.  Fifteen minutes into the service I realized that it was my first Mass in Latin and though I think I need a lot of guidance, the service and was beyond beautiful.  The form of worship gave me a deep sense that all the attention is on God, my eyes and mind kept getting redirected to God.  It’s hard to explain, but I had no time to think whether I enjoyed the music or if the homily was up to my standards because my mind was entirely on God and not on what I was getting out of it.


After Mass, I found the way of the cross trail and began my praying session.  The weather was perfect and my view absolutely marvelous, nature at its best.  At each station I stopped and contemplated the porcelain image of Jesus.   There’s so much to learn from meditating on each station.  The lesson of never giving up as Jesus falls three times and gets back up, of doing good even when we are hurting when Jesus meets the women crying, of forgiveness when Jesus asks “Father, forgive them for they know not what they are doing…”  
Each station offers so much wisdom, but the one that this Lent has been most in my mind is the fifth station where Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus carry his cross.  I think I’ve mentioned before that I am a little prideful or maybe more shy in asking and accepting help.  Yet, to see Jesus at his most vulnerable accept help really speaks to me.  I think this little gem helps me understand that it’s ok to need help.  I think most of the time as Christians we hear the message of being helpers, of offering our talents for the good of others; and we go thinking that we must always suppress our own needs.  Yet, Jesus needed help on his way to the cross!  Scripture tells us that there’s a season for everything including a time when we will need assistance.  Jesus being God could have carried the cross all the way, but he requires Simon’s help. Why? 
Being in a state of need is humbling, but it also gives others the occasion to shine their light.  Even though Simon is forced to help Jesus carry the cross, God shows us that we need one another that together we are stronger- that together we can reach the finish line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment