Thursday, December 22, 2016

Posada: My Christmas Journey

Happy almost Christmas!  My week began with a beautiful celebration at a local parish of a Latin American tradition, “Las Posadas.”  When I was six years old I was chosen to star as Mary in our school rendition of the tradition.  I have always been a bit shy, so while I was super excited of getting the leading role on the day of the big event I cried the entire journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem.  The crying earned me my small town's Oscar since people thought tears were quite appropriate for a woman with the pangs of childbirth.  Maybe it was stage fright, but as soon as Joseph took my hand to begin the journey I started to cry.  I think it was also because I thought Joseph was a little cute and I was terribly nervous to make my theatrical debut next to my first crush (smile).  I don’t remember much about the event; but racing home in excitement to share with my dad that I had done it that I had survived the show.  Dad was an alcoholic at the time and he was with a group of his friends drunk as usual and instead of finding comfort he said, “Well, I heard you cried the entire time.”  His friends laughed and my happy, excited heart sadden thinking I let him down.  That’s what my Christmases used to be like, these beautiful Catholic cultural observances mixed with drunkenness.
Searching for shelter.
Stopping to ask for lodging.
Traveling with the Holy Family.

This year, thirty years after that incident my dad and I found ourselves in a familiar environment, but things have changed!  The hurts I carried God took them from me when He taught me to forgive and because of the healing power of forgiveness I have the best relationship with my dad today.  This was our first posada together as a family and it was so beyond special.  The Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish community organized one of the best posadas I have attended.  We began at six in the afternoon not only accompanying Mary and Joseph, but also migrants who travel from all over Latin America towards the United States in hopes of a better life.  Simultaneously we heard the story of Mary and Joseph towards Bethlehem and one of two young teens leaving their humble tin roof home towards America.  We ended the pilgrimage at the parish with the church being the stable that took in the Holy Family and who takes in people of all nationalities and state in life- those who are most vulnerable.  Together we prayed the rosary before beginning the celebration of the Mass led by our Bishop.  The service was so beautiful, four babies were presented to the community which looked absolutely adorable as Bishop Vann held them up.  It concluded with pan dulce, champurrado and piñatas!
Love this picture of Holy Family kneeling during Mass.
Exiting the church.
My parents getting a special blessing from our bishop.

Growing up in California my Christmases were culturally Catholic, but spiritually devoid of God.  In the small town where I am from in Michoacán, the whole town would light bonfires outside their homes and it was a huge neighborhood party.  We kept this bonfire custom when we moved to the U.S., but lost the religious part of attending church celebrations.  Thus, my Christmases (though some of the warmest memories) were tamales, dancing, bonfires and a lot of drunkenness.  Since my reversion I have tried to bring Jesus and our faith back into our home and every year I feel like Jesus occupies more space in our lives.  Now our gatherings are small and simple.  We continue to honor the twenty-fourth as the day that we wait with great anticipation for the birth of Christ. Mom makes tamales and ponche and we eat a whole lot (smile).  Then we attend midnight service.  Like Thanksgiving we stay home just the small clan because dad no longer drinks and he doesn’t want to be tempted by the relatives who still like to get jolly.  Going from huge elaborate parties to our small dinners has been a great change, but I love the growth our family has had.  I love that my dad has changed so much in a way I never imagined.  His joy is contagious and now that he’s retired and full of energy we get to share even more.  To me that’s what Christmas is all about of celebrating Jesus’ birthday, but also being aware of the growth in my life since Jesus’ last birthday.  Going to the posada this year with my dad was testimony of Jesus not only growing more in me, but also in those I love- that is priceless.  How do you celebrate Christmas?   

No comments:

Post a Comment