Thursday, December 15, 2016

Macklemore Unofficial Thrift Shop Challenge

Basically if you know me, you know that I am a thrifty person.  More than ninety percent of what I buy comes from secondhand stores.  This is no secret, even at work the news has spread about my ability to score great deals.  So, the other day my coworker came over and told me that I remind him of that song by Macklemore “Thrift Shop.”  Since it was a slow day I decided to google the song to have a listen and in my search I found that this song started an unofficial thrift shop challenge!
The rules are:
Step One: Go to a thrift store and like the chorus in the song says, with “Twenty dollars in (your) pocket.” Snap a picture of your twenty dollars before you begin shopping.
Step Two: Find an item (or more) referenced in the song and snap a picture.
Step Three: Spend your twenty dollars any way you like and photograph your spoils.

I was more excited about the challenge than the song.  So, yesterday afternoon I headed to the Salvation Army to see if I could spend twenty dollars in one visit! After roaming around and digging in piles of not so interesting items I found a few lost gems.  I think the reason I love to thrift is because I feel like an archeologist digging sites for lost treasure and pieces of history.  And like a true excavator I am always surprised by what I find- never knowing what I will bring home with me (smile). Below my documentary of the challenge.

Step One: I am going to spend some cash, “Only got twenty dollars in my pocket.”
Step Two: Find an item (or more) referenced in the song and snap a picture (quoting lyrics).

“What you know about wearing a fur?”
“My gator shoes those are green”
“They had a broken keyboard, I bought a broken keyboard”
“The sneakers… got the velcros”
Step Three: Spend your twenty dollars any way you like and photograph your spoils.

Brand New Birkenstock Sandals: $4.99, these normally retail for $135 so I saved 130 bucks!
Like New Toms Sunglasses $7.99 they retail for $139 I saved 131 bucks!


Brighton Christmas earrings new with Tags .99 cents and they had a $48 price tag!


Zandra Rhodes seashell shoulder bag $4.99 retails for $80, saved 75 dollars and it's a vintage piece!
Christmas hat for Dollar .25 cents from Target retails 9.99! 
Total Spent = $19.21 Total Saved= $387.78

I had so much fun and wanted to share a little silliness here today.  Though I would caution about the song- listen to the version that is appropriate for the radio.  Hope you are having a lovely beginning to this chilly Thursday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment