Thursday, May 30, 2019

Retreat Insights

If you are blessed to go on retreats often you are aware that there are different types even when the goal is the same, leaving it all behind to encounter God.  The one I attended this past weekend was extremely social- since it was a reunion of all the Franciscan Fraternities in Southern California and people were seeing each other for the first time in the span of a year I understood their giddiness. Nevertheless, I was surprised that there was so much conversation and social gatherings each night.  When I picked up my roommate as I was helping her place her things in my trunk, I noticed a bag with two bottles of wine, surprised I slipped, “What kind of retreat am I going to?”  She chuckled, “A Franciscan one.”  Every night closed with a social, where people shared wine, snacks and conversation.  It was really a great time.
Yet, I missed having Mass and adoration daily or the opportunity for confession.  I think that after attending many retreats I do enjoy the ones with more time devoted to prayer.  One of my sister’s said, “You might be Franciscan in heart, but Carmelite when it comes to retreats.”  On my last night, I left the social early to walk the grounds and spend some time alone in prayer.  I went to the point, where a huge cross and a life size Father Serra stands illuminating the great view of Malibu reaching all the way to the ocean.  I took out my cell phone and put on a religious song then I closed my eyes and listened to the music mixed in with the crickets, frogs and other sounds of my surroundings.  I could feel His caress as the wind stroked my face. 
While lost in prayer, I recalled when Jesus is tempted in the Judaean Desert by Satan. Being at highest point of the retreat house reminded of Jesus also being taken to the highest point of town.  First, Satan, asks Jesus to jump then offers the riches below.  This experience of momentarily seeing Jesus at the top of world refusing the devils proposals spoke deep to my heart because God showed me that in my darkness though I am tempted to give in to the negativity, hopelessness and plain darkness - Jesus has shown me better.  Tears streamed down my face as I realized that my struggles (the hurts that I am feeling now) have purpose.  I can surrender to adversity, to Satan telling me that God is not present during the dark night of the soul or I can offer them to God with great faith that nothing is impossible for Him.  If Jesus declined, I must too.  I thought of him tired and hungry refusing to have any consolation that did not come from His Father and I asked God to give me that type of faith - the type that doesn’t tremble when life gets challenging. 
Even though the retreat didn’t have as many opportunities for community prayer as I am accustomed to, I realize that grounds are equally important in helping us enter into the heart of God.  Serra Retreat had so many special nooks and crannies with Franciscan saints and Holy Family shrines that I still had a prayerful time in the presence of God.  How could I not with so much natural beauty (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment