Thursday, May 2, 2019

Catholic Community


I recently read that the image of God is the most reflected in the family because the trinity shows us this relational God, God in three persons.  We were made for relationship not to be alone.  Studies have shown that from the moment we are born we need contact with other people, in Russia they found that children in orphanages who were neglected didn’t develop normally.  In fact, if a baby doesn’t get human contact it will die.  I have a great family and circle of friends; however, when it comes to spirituality, I need community.  Much like the importance of family, in our faith journey we need brothers and sisters to motivate, inspire, encourage, guide, teach… to help us get to heaven.  When I first began my walk with the Lord, I looked for social groups – groups that were the equivalent to Catholic light beers, but as I have matured in the faith, I look for groups that have a focus more in helping me get to heaven than in developing my social life.
Rise Young Adult Ministry began twelve years ago in a desire to provide an avenue for young people to come together.  I recently found the ministry and the few events that I have attended have really impressed me.  Usually young adult groups can lose the religiousness and focus too much on the social aspect.  Rise always impresses me because the people that attend the events are usually people that really know their faith and their events while social always include the Catholic Faith as the center of the meeting.  Recently, I joined them for the Seven Church Visitations on Holy Thursday and I was really impressed with how deeply spiritual the night was.  On Divine Mercy Saturday, I also joined a small group to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet, Confession and lunch.  The conversations we had were deeply Catholic and I think that’s why I am drawn to this group.        
Our Holy Thursday Group

Theology on Tap of Orange County is another group that I enjoy because I get to hear great speakers while enjoying a beer.  Father Bartus began the group here in my county and since it’s inception it has attracted a lot of Catholic youth. The topics are usually really interesting and very well explained.  We have had speakers speak on science and God, atheism- even Father gave his conversion story into the Catholic faith.  Last night it was held at a Catholic brewery we had a great speaker who retired from the LA Police Force and now works with Jesse Romero on a Catholic radio station.

Gianna’s Club is also another group that I enjoy- I have already spoken about this group previously.  It's open to all women over eighteen.  Just as family is where God is most reflected our religious community is also a place to find God. That's why finding groups of people – a faith community to help sanctify us is so imprtant.

No comments:

Post a Comment