Thursday, May 16, 2019

Mary's Month of Strength

I have been feeling a bit insecure lately, I didn’t realize that having employment is also good for one’s self-esteem.  Having so much time to think can lead one to a melancholic state, where the truth gets distorted with this sense of lessness.  After talking with a friend, I came to realize that these negative feelings are normal, especially given the society that I live in where I am constantly receiving messages that success is measured by accomplishment.  Sometimes in periods of transition our feelings can overpower the truth.  Yesterday, after Mass I went to one of my favorite places – Central Park.  I sat on a log and just enjoyed being present to God immersed in His creation.  The park was full of song – all His little critters singing a joyful morning song.  I just sat on that log for a while and listened, the natural melody soon had entered my heart and began to expand throughout my being, slowly filling me with hope, deafening the insecurity and tensions- lightening my yoke.  I talked to God as if He was sitting right next to me on that fallen tree, expressing my frustrations, insecurities, needs and problems and He spoke to me.  Is as if He whispered right in my ear what I needed to hear, a great idea on how to approach one of my leading troubles!
My favorite place

Later, I heard a deacon give a brief Marian talk in honor of her month and goodness I swear it was just what I needed to hear:

Our Mother had so many serious struggles throughout her life, pains that only a woman of her strength and character could endure.  When she accepted God’s will to carry Jesus she had to confront her parents, her fiancĂ©, her community and trust God while she dealt with others' incredulity and rejection.  While pregnant, she had to travel many miles on a donkey to Bethlehem.  Again, she had to flee to Egypt on a donkey and then back to Israel when the people who were trying to kill her son were dead.  This constant travel must have been extremely difficult given the conditions in which people moved in those days.  Then she losses Jesus, and for days she has to worry about where her son is until finally finding him at the temple.  She sees him heal, perform many miracles and sees his ministry grow.  As it grows, she sees the division and hatred from the people in power- she witnesses the people turn against her son.  She hears Jesus predict his death and then watches him being tortured and hung to death on a cross.  All these hardships point to one important character trait in our Holy Mother- she was a strong woman.  Her life wasn’t easy, yet she accepted God’s will with a strength that encourages all of us facing struggle.   
I sought God in nature and had a chat with Him and throughout the day He gave me exactly what I needed- a look at the Virgin Mary.  May is her month, a great time to study her life and be encouraged by her strength.  Even more, to ask her for intercession – she who holds such a special place in the heart of our Savior.

“Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus,” words that come straight from the bible- the Gospel of Luke.  “Hail Mary, Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death, amen.” And then we ask, her like we would a close friend to pray for us- such a complete prayer of intersession that reminds me of the strength of my Mother and encourages me to not let negative thoughts or troubles lose my sight from the Truth. No trouble is bigger than our God and though He might not take it away, He will give us the strength to get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment