Monday, May 13, 2019

I'm Catholic But...

I have joined a Monday night bible study group that I am truly excited about because it’s at a studious spiritual level that is really helping me grow in my faith.  We have been looking at the Old Testament, jumping between scripture and what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says in relation to the many topics raised in these books.  This past week we immersed ourselves in "The Book of Judges," which is a book that deals with the cycle of sin the Israelites fell into.  Though one can think how can studying an ancient book help me today?  For one it shows us that God is faithful even when the Israelites become captives to sin.  It teaches, a lesson equally relevant today: spiritual immaturity wants holiness, but not the sacrifice that goes with it. 
Today, we would call these people “Cafeteria Catholics,” those who pick and choose what teachings of the Church they will follow.  When I returned to the faith this was a term that described me completely because I wanted the promises of heaven, but I thought I knew better and only picked the things from my faith that I could be obedient to without much effort.  I wanted a church that molded to my life and not a life that was molded by Christ.  Yet, as my faith grew, I realized that selective obedience is the same as disobedience.  The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that, “even though we are incorporated to into the Church, one who doesn’t persevere in charity is not saved.  He remains indeed in the bosom of the Church, but “in body” not “in heart.”  Yikes!  God takes us where we are at, but he wants what is best for all of us and what is best for us is to be in union with His saving Church.  Picking and choosing what to follow disrupts this union.
For a long time, I picked only what didn’t interfere with my lifestyle and worldly beliefs; but the more that I attempt to live a holy life (in line with the teachings of the Church) the happier I become.  Half-hearted conversion is a dangerous place, because we can’t be half-saints.  God tells us that it is all or nothing with Him.  However, “The Book of Judges” shows us that God’s mercy and His desire for our conversion understands that for many of us change occurs at a snail’s pace.  When I was in Mexico a cousin asked me why I wanted to go to confession when I could just admit my wrongs to God privately and I told her that I was Catholic and as a Catholic I followed the teachings of the Catholic Church.  She rolled her eyes and my grandma jumped in starting to criticize my cousin (who I learned goes to Mass every Sunday) and I told grandma that God accepted each of us where we are in our faith journey and we must too.  Many of us have to pass through the cafeteria, before we realize that our omniscient God truly knows best.

No comments:

Post a Comment