Monday, June 3, 2019

Bumping into Fat Friar Jacques

During my retreat weekend I came across a jolly fat friar sculpture in one of the Serra Retreat Gardens.  He reminded me of Friar Jacques from the famous nursery rhyme and thus I baptized him as such, since there was no name tag on him.  This perfectly round character gave me so much to ponder because from any angle that you look at him, Friar Jacques is quite round.  Yet, his smile and arms lifted in a position of prayer or open to take you in a warm embrace really spoke to me.  So much so that I asked my friend to take a picture of me with him, so that when I am having low self-esteem days, I can remember that it’s ok to be chubby.  I think that every year I write a post on weight and it seems like I get nowhere in the department of losing usually because I give priority to other things instead of working out.  That combined with the Seroquel that I take for my bipolar makes it almost impossible to lose an inch.  Recently, I was doing research on people with bipolar and weight loss and found that most people on Seroquel find it impossible to lose weight because the medication is to blame.  Thus, I have been thinking long and hard about whether I should change my medications. 
The encounter with Friar Jacques, helped me because even chubbies belong to God and can do a whole lot of good.  Sometimes people with weight issues easily postpone things in wishful thinking- I won’t do or attend that until I am a size smaller.  I know that I have thought that plenty of times, especially when it’s a reunion and I haven’t seen a person in a while- in the back of my mind I am afraid of their judgment, “Wow, Penny has gained weight…”  The thing is that even when I was at my smallest, (size 7/8) I still struggled with weight issues.  I always thought I was fat- even when I was at a healthy weight.  I see pictures of myself from those days and I think how in the world did I think that I was fat then?  Back then it was probably because I was addicted to reading Fashion Magazines and the women in those pages were all a size 0.  I felt like I didn’t reflect the type of beauty those periodicals sold.  Obviously, it also went deeper with the abuse I experience as a child and this feeling of ugliness that it gave me.
Now as adult, I have made peace with a lot of the psychological issues that I grew up having, but I still struggle with self-image mostly because of the weight I have gained due to the bipolar medication that I take.  For the longest time my motto has been fat-but mentally healthy.  Yet, I know that I can try to be both physically and mentally healthy.  I haven’t decided (it’s a huge decision) if I am changing my meds, but I will continue to live my best life always.  Bumping into fat ol’ Friar Jacques really helped me understand that I need to be content with myself whether slim or plump.  I have a body that is round, but healthy and I need to be thankful for it instead of ashamed by it.  While I strive to lose the pounds, I also need to strive to accept me because as I age my body is going to go through many changes and I need to learn that no matter what physical changes occur I am worthy and capable of blessing the world with my existence.  I looked at the chubby friar and his whole person emanated jolliness, he looked like he really enjoyed life so much so that he didn’t allow issues with self-image to negate him of life’s beauty.  I still look at the photo I took of him and I can’t help, but smile- so many lessons learned from this fat brother (smile).   

No comments:

Post a Comment