Thursday, October 25, 2018

Halloween Costume: Saint Barbara


We are about to enter one of my favorite weekends of the year, Halloween weekend!  Each year I take the challenge of making one of the most controversial nights for Christians, full of Jesus.  Usually it begins with a well prepared saint costume.  This year I began my costume hunting at Goodwill and found a gold beauty of a dress and a crown that needed proper jewels, both pieces reminded me of Saint Barbara.  While Saint Barbara has been a saint that has always been present in my spiritual journey, I have never given her enough attention.  Though the first Catholic parish that I started attending after my reversion is dedicated to her and though recently I discovered that an image that has been hanging in my parents’ bedroom is none other than Saint Barbara- this October I finally made a conscious effort to get to know her better.  I had a bit of trouble finding a proper biography in book form, so I used a film that my Texan Angel gifted me with very high ratings.
Saint Barbara is known for physical beauty, according to the film “Saint Barbara: Convert and Martyr of the Early Church.” She lives during a time of great Christian persecution and is the daughter of a wealthy Roman governor, Dioscoro, who guards her carefully.  So afraid is he of letting Barbara out into the world that he builds a tower with three windows to preserve her from outside influence.  However, through a slave who attends to her, Barbara comes to know Jesus and secretly converts to Christianity.  Her love for God is so strong that when her slave is condemned to death due to her Christian faith Barbara attempts to save her.  She rebels and goes against her father and other government leaders as she also tries to save other persecuted Christians too.  Ultimately her Christian faith costs her life, as her father orders her execution after unsuccessfully trying to get her to reject her faith.  Before her death she is severely tortured and endures much cruelty.  Legend has it that after each torture session her wounds would heal, however her father eventually carried the execution himself beheading his daughter after failing to convert her to paganism.  As punishment Dioscoro was struck by lightning on his way home and Barbara was given a Christian burial and her tomb became a place of great miracles.  She is venerated on December fourth, the day of her believed martyrdom and because of her association with lightning she is the patron saint of artillerymen, military or anyone who faces danger and a sudden violent death in work.  She is usually represented with the tower, a martyr crown, palm branch or chalice.   
 This statue was my inspiration.
Her story is such a strong testament of faith and a most beautiful conversion testimony.  During a dark time in Christian history, God still works using people to spread His salvific message.  Saint Barbara hears the truth and from her tower prison she sees daily the beauty of creation.  She spends hours looking out her windows, admiring the natural beauty and being warmed by the rays of sunshine that shine through.  These gifts propel her thank such a generous, beautiful God.  As she learns her Christian faith (from her slave) she comes to encounter God- and their bond is so tight that no matter how hard her earthly father tries to separate her from God she refuses to surrender.  Her refusal to turn against her new found Christian faith is what most strikes me.  Learning of the humiliating, long, painful torture she received I am not sure if I could endure the same.  Especially so soon after my conversion!  Equally impressive is her ability to stand up against her father during a time period when women were seen to have so little value.  Her actions are quite courageous- truly a role model to keep and now another of my close intercessors. 


Prayer to Saint Barbara

St Barbara,
you are stronger than the tower of a fortress
and the fury of hurricanes.
Do not let lightning hit me, thunder frighten me
or the roar of canons jolt my courage or bravery.
Stay always by my side so that I may confront
all the storms and battles of my life
with my head held high and a serene countenance.
Winning all the struggles, may I,
aware of doing my duty, be grateful to you,
my protector, and render thanks to God,
the Creator of heaven, earth and nature
who has the power to dominate the fury of the storm
and to mitigate the cruelty of war.
St Barbara, pray for us.
Amen.
Previous year Saints Costume Links: St. Rita , St. Cecilia, Joan of Arc, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, Saint Helena 

No comments:

Post a Comment