Thursday, October 4, 2018

My Favorite Franciscan Feast Days


This is one of my favorite weeks of the year because of the domino feast days: archangels, Saint Therese of Lisieux, guardian angels, Transitus and today Saint Francis of Assisi!  Every feast brings with it such beautiful traditions that invite us to look beyond the material world.  Two weeks after my brother died I got my home blessed, a priest came to the house and performed a blessing ritual during the ceremony he said something that I have since carried, “Many of us think that this home I am blessing is just that my home- but this is just a house on your way to your forever home in heaven.  Don’t make the error of living like this world is it, always remember that we are just passing by – visitors on our way to eternity.”  Coming from poverty, from living sardine style in a two bedroom apartment with eighteen other people- my dream was always to own a house.  When we moved into our house it was one of the happiest days of my life, having my own bedroom, a yard to read my books, enough space to spread my arms and just relax - felt like heaven on earth.  It was my house, a home I was no longer ashamed of full of people that made me the most happy.  We had achieved a great dream and now it was time to decorate and take pride in our accomplishment.  As excited as I was of my earthly home, Father was challenging me to think of the mansion that Jesus went to prepare for me where I would live forever in His presence with all those gone before me.  Once again I dreamed of a home, but one no longer requiring a mortgage, repairs, maintenance, or insurance in case of a natural disaster.  Father was alluding to life after death, the reason behind my conversion, the source of my hope that my brother was in a better place, a place I would one day hopefully arrive at- just like he had, only now he would be there to receive me when I exited the train towards heaven.
These feast days of the past few days remind me, that my days on earth are numbered that I have a forever destination and though that might sound morbid, Catholicism prepares us to meet Sister Death with hope of the future. Yesterday, as I sat in the pew participating in the Transitus prayer service at my local parish, the altar had sunflowers (which always connect me with my brother in heaven) and I thought of his death and the sadness I felt.  Which reminded of something I once read, “when we are born we come into the world crying and when we die we go with the crying sounds of those left behind.”  I wondered if babies know that they have entered into a temporal world and that’s why they cry and it made sense that when we die we go peacefully while the ones left behind cry…   
This week has two of my favorite Catholic traditions the Transitus Prayer Service or the vigil of the passing over of Saint Francis into heaven.  This feast is an important part of Franciscan spirituality because ideally Christians shouldn’t be afraid of death.  In remembering Saint Francis’ joyful end, turning his soul to the author of Love with such confidence we are invited to embrace our mortality with great trust that God is waiting for us, that all is not lost- that we are crossing over to God in the final mystery.  The service is absolutely beautiful - one that I look forward to every year and invite you to experience.
So beautifully set-up.
On a lighter note, as Saint Francis is one of those saints that has such depth of spirituality which stretches us into realms completely out of our comfort zone (death), he also elevates us into a happy celebration of life.  On his Feast Day, every October fourth, another tradition that I just adore is the blessing of the animals.  Bring your pet to church day!  Dollar and I have been participating in this short prayer ritual since we learned about it and we have nothing, but high reviews.  All pets are welcomed!  This year he wore his birthday suit and he was the belle of the ball, I thought it’d be funny to have him wear his Sunday’s best and it sure made a lot of people smile- mission accomplished.  Now you see why I love Saint Francis he elevates me to heaven, but teaches me to appreciate life here on earth because life or death both are a gift from God. 
I love this shot because you can see when Dollar receives the holy water and his demons leave him (LOL).

No comments:

Post a Comment