Monday, July 31, 2017

My Friend's Christian Wedding

On Saturday, I went to one of my close friend’s wedding.  When I started attending evangelical churches I had a talk with my buddy who was going through a difficult period.  I remember sharing how God was really my reason for keeping on especially when things looked extremely bleak. A few days later, I gave her a CD series by Joyce Meyer (a motivational, evangelical preacher) and she loved it so much that it began her Christian spiritual journey.  As she grew in her faith she shared with me how scared she was about sharing her conversion with her Buddhist family; thus, when I heard she was having a Christian ceremony I was delighted that her faith has grown so much!  During her vows she shared how three years ago she was in the pew in the church where now she was getting married, crying and asking God to send her a spouse.  Three months later, her now husband entered her life giving her proof that prayer really is essential for life.  Her spouse, too, was going through his own challenges, he had lost his mom and he weighed over four-hundred pounds.  In honor of his mom’s memory, he wanted to make a lifestyle change and to live a life that would make his mom smile from heaven.  His best man helped him shed the weight and with brand new found confidence he decided to try his luck with the ladies.  He met my close friend and the rest as they say is history...  No not really, after talking for three months over phone and messages they decided to meet at Disneyland to have their first date because both are Disney fans.  A couple years later they became engaged at Disney and their wedding had touches of Beauty and the Beast.
 Beautiful, happy bride.
 The giving away.
 Vows- proclaiming to love one another, even if they cheer for opposing basketball teams. 
Unity Candle.
Communion.
The new Mr. & Mrs.
The religious ceremony was really beautiful.  In my attempt at ecumenism, I thought I’d share aspects of the religious ceremony.  There was an exchange of vows (which each person wrote and read) and everyone shed a tear, rings, and then the couple participated in the unity candle ceremony.  The ceremony of light involves three candles, one for the bride and one for the groom.  The third candle is lit together from the light of the wife and husband’s candle representing unity: the joining of two lives, two families and friends as one under God.  Then for communion there’s bread and wine at a small table where the bride and groom together pray over and partake of it.  Finally, it’s time for the pastor to introduce the new Mr. and Mrs. to the community.  With cheers and applause they take their first kiss as husband and wife. 
In the afternoon, I again headed to the reception where I enjoyed the traditional seven course Vietnamese dinner, goodness so much food!  Again, I was surprised because my friend invited one of her friend’s from church to pray the blessing over the meal.  It was just so sweet to see how God has really made a home in her heart- it gave me so much hope.  Overall, it was such a sweet time, as all weddings are – to have been a guest is always such an honor because I am witnessing such a huge moment in the lives of two.
 If you notice the bride changes outfits throughout the night.
 With the BFF.
 First dance.
 My beauty.

 We made them have a "Lady and the Tramp" moment.
Table number five :)

No comments:

Post a Comment